Netgear WGR614 installation problem

orks 13:19 07 Sep 2007

hi..the problem is: I have ADSL modem connection (working)..but when I conect it to the router, and from the router to my laptop, and finally start installation cd,and do the automatic setup,I am getting stuck at the point when it says that my ethernet adapter is not installed (though it is working with ADSL)..does somebody have any idea..?I tried to do the manual setup but it's not working either..so?

mgmcc 08:06 08 Sep 2007

How are you connecting your ADSL modem to the Netgear WGR614 because this is a "Cable/DSL" router, not normally suitable for use with ADSL. it is used in conjunction with Virgin's (NTL/Telewest) Cable service.

orks 12:14 08 Sep 2007

hi.thanks for the answer..i am connecting the adsl to the port "internet" (written at the bottom of the router), and then from the ports called "lan [1,2,3,4]" to the ethernet port in my laptop..this is what is said in the manual, as well as on the box of the router..unfortunately i have noother computer at the moment to check whether this isn't about my laptop..

Minkey1 15:05 08 Sep 2007

Hi orks

IMHO, mgmcc knows his onions with networking, wireless and physically connected. He's helped me and many others on the topic. If he says this is a router designed to work with a cable service, then I think it won't matter how you're connecting it to your modem - it just isn't designed to work with a "telephone line " ISP (ie your ADSL service).

The ADSL type routers these days tend to be integrated router/modem combined.

orks 16:14 08 Sep 2007

thanks for those who helped me..I, finally managed to fix the problem..it was saying that the ethernet adapter was not installed because in the local area settings TCP/IP was disabled, so was the client for microsoft windows.. after enabling them everything went smooth.. thanks again

orks 16:14 08 Sep 2007

resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone