Netgear WG311 v3 Changes Winbdows Log in

Sic 10:14 26 Aug 2006

I have just moved to a new house and have installed a wireless card in my main PC as there are no phonlines upstairs.

I have connected to my existing router (Netgear) and installed said adapter. It works fine but when i boot up i no longer have the welcome screen and fast user switching has been disabled.

I obviously cant uninstall the software for the adapter as i need it, but thats the only option windows is giving me.

Any suggestions on how to keep this card and have fast user switching?

mgmcc 12:15 26 Aug 2006

I cannot see why installing a wireless adapter should have affected the way you log in.

Go to "Control Panel > User Accounts" and click "Change the way users log on or off". Tick both of the boxes in the window that opens.

Sic 14:45 26 Aug 2006

Nope, when i go to user accounts and click on 'Change the way users log on or off' it comes up saying that the netgear router software has disabled those functions and they are greyed out so i cant select them. I assume ist a security feature. Anyone have a way of bypassing this helpfull 'feature' ??!!

FUl2tiV3 15:52 26 Aug 2006

the latest version of the netgear software and utility changes the log in method due to 'software conflicts' with xp sp2.

i had many problems with the card initially. net gear helpline were actually very good, and replaced the card FOC.

although in conclusion i learnt a number of things. the netgear 'utility' software didn't really like my system. the cards produce a lot of heat.

i think what really provided my solution was this: i downloaded the original v1 release of the netgear drivers, and reinstalled the card, using only the win xp driver, and none of the netgear software. the standard windows wireless config software works just fine. i installed an exhaust fan directly next to the card in an adjoining pci slot. it was about £5 from pc world. the extra heat seemed to be causing the pc to 'cut' out and reset.

i now have the original windows log in, and the card works fine. there is/was a lot of discussion online that the card suffered incompatability with via chipsets. netgear recently removed their online forum, as there was a degree of 'conflict' there. i have sis chipsets. interestingly the replacement card wasn't the standard SE version, but a european variant, although i am not at home currently, and i can't remember the exact model, possibly LI, or LS.

ade.h 15:53 26 Aug 2006

Router sofware?? Routers don't use software. Do you mean that you are running this USB adapter with 3rd-party management software from Netgear? If so, I would suggest that you try removing it and use Windows XP's abilities instead. It is happier that way.

ade.h 15:54 26 Aug 2006

You type quickly! Your post wasn't there when I refreshed a moment ago.

FUl2tiV3 15:59 26 Aug 2006

it was a subject that caused me much 'research'! it was gratifying to get a satisfactory solution. and i was impressed by netgears help, and professionalism throughout. i hope it provides a solution.

there is no need to use the netgear utility, windows can handle the job! after installation, just point windows to the driver.

Sic 16:23 26 Aug 2006

I never mentioned router software, i did mention the wireless adapter card software. FUl2tiV3 you seem to have hit the nail on the head, thats a pretty poor show from Netgear though, releasing a V3 that was meant to solve all the SP2 conflict issues and yet it still does not work with all the functions.

Thanks for the info though, you saved me many hours of head scratching.

Sic 16:24 26 Aug 2006

apologies, i did say netgear router software! typo, meant netgear adapter software

ade.h 16:25 26 Aug 2006

click here and scroll down, just in case you need it, Sic.

FUl2tiV3 16:39 26 Aug 2006

glad to be of help. i must admit it makes me think twice now about installing software from a manufacturer that duplicates, or adds little to what windows can do anyway. i would hope that such software would add functionality.

when i got my logitech webcam recently, i just pointed xp to the driver! perhaps i'm missing something fun!

i guess netgear did the best they could to resolve the situation. i can't fault their service to me. i bought their card, as i had a netgear router, like you. i thought it would be the easiest choice! the wg311 isn't as good as my intel centrino wireless, but it works ok.

ade.h i wish i had seen that page earlier!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?