NetGear WG111v2 USB Adaptor & Windows 98 SE

PaulB2005 14:57 14 Jan 2006

Been trying to get a NetGear WG111v2 USB Adaptor installed on a Windows 98 SE but I'm having a few problems.....

Following the instructions i ran the CD to install the Drivers and Utilities, but it would not let me as the "Program must be run on Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 and XP Only" according to the error message which then stops installation.

Well it IS Windows 98 Second Edition (reinstalled it not so long ago) so i can't see the problem.

Then i download updated drives from NetGear. These installed OK except the NetGear Setup Wizard won't display. It flashes up briefly then disappears. No tray icon and no show in ALT-TAB. Task manger shows it running and it can be killed and started again only for it to then flash up and disappear. No number of reboots and reinstalls have worked.

Without it i can't connect to the secure network.

Any ideas?

mgmcc 17:45 14 Jan 2006

Have you tried loading the original software from the CD by booting into Safe Mode?

...it might not make any difference, but there's nothing to lose ;-)

PaulB2005 18:06 14 Jan 2006

Windows 98SE - can't see the CD drive in Safe Mode....

mgmcc 20:19 14 Jan 2006

<<< can't see the CD drive in Safe Mode.... >>>

OK, copy the CD to the hard drive and run it from there in Safe Mode.

PaulB2005 21:08 14 Jan 2006

Doh! Didn't think of that....

PaulB2005 16:03 31 Jan 2006

Well apparently the problem isn't the hardware as we've installed it on 3 PCs successfully - 2 x XP and 1 x Win 98SE without he updated drivers.

However i must point out that the hardware installs fine. However the software STILL refuses to stay open on each PC.

The explanation from NetGear was:

"It is because your Windows 98 PC is not compatible"

"So the NetGear Adaptor that NetGear says works with Windows 98 doesn't work with Windows 98"

"No. It is possible your USB drivers won't work."

No matter how many times i explained that the hardware installed OK - even on the Windows 98 PC the SOFTWARE didn't work on any of the 3 PCS he still blamed Windows 98. Couldn't get him to explain why it didn't work under XP either, because he didn't understand the problem. Just kept banging on about 98....

PaulB2005 16:04 31 Jan 2006

"Well apparently the problem isn't the hardware as we've installed it on 3 PCs successfully - 2 x XP and 1 x Win 98SE without he updated drivers"

Sory that's

Well apparently the problem isn't the hardware as we've installed it on 3 PCs successfully - 2 x XP and 1 x Win 98SE WITH THE updated drivers

jacqueline_1969 17:33 31 Jan 2006

I had linksys usb hubs and their software done the very same thing to me flashing on the screen but not able to access it. This happened on WinME and WINXP. I had to eventualy disable the linksys software and let WINXP wireless configuration control it. But considering you are using win98se you can use the XP wireless configuration wizard. My setup works great now. I tried formatting my pc to get our dodgy software back on and that worked the software became active again only to stop after a couple of days that is when I decided use XP config.

Are you connecting through a router?

If you are you could always try taking the secure network off the router and only allow the usb devices you want to connect through their mac addresses and deny access to anyone else trying to connect. It isnt as secure but better than the software problems.

Are you connecting to another wireless hub ad-hoc mode?

This will be a lot harder to achieve if you cant get the software working as you said you need to get into the secure network or leave the network unsecured which I wouldnt recommend.

click here

PaulB2005 18:26 31 Jan 2006

"But considering you are using win98se you can use the XP wireless configuration wizard."

Sorry but that's got me confussed.

There is a router as there are 2 PCs and a laptop in the house and i'd rather stick to the secure network connection.

Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?