Netgear WG111 Wireless 54Mbps USB 2.0 Adapter

Audio~~Chip 18:40 17 Jun 2010

Does anyone happen to known if a 9yr desktop pc with a AMD 1.1GHz CPU, 480MB Memory running XP Pro SP3 & only has USB 1 not USB 2.0 work with this adapter. All i can find on system requirements is 32MB HDD space & WinXP being required system requirements

Thanks if anyone can help me. Its for a elederly lady learning to use a old second hand desktop passed on from her daughter.

peter99co 19:16 17 Jun 2010

Have you got the CD for the adapter? Give it a try. To fit a usb 2 is quite easy.

bremner 19:25 17 Jun 2010

Make sure you go to the Netgear website and get the latest drivers. When I got my WG111 the drivers on the CD were very out of date.

retep888 19:41 17 Jun 2010

I recently rescued a 10 yrs old Dell laptop with 700Mhz P3 cpu with 256MB ram and a single USB1 port, reloaded with XP and went online with the said Netgear WG111 USB adapter,it worked with no problem at all.

However you may see a message saying that this advice could work faster on a Hi-power port,just ignore ,it should work alright.

Try using the default windows <<Wireless Zero Configuration>> controller when you're loading up the driver which is easier and simpler to use than the Netgear one.

If you encounter some weird problem after loading the latest Netgear driver with XP,just uninstall it and then reload with the second latest one.

Finally with USB1 port, the adapter may run at 11 bps insted of 54 bps but I doubt you'll notice any speed difference.

Audio~~Chip 19:47 17 Jun 2010

I read if it works on a 700Mhz P3 with 256MB Ram then I will have no problem getting it working.

Thank U everyone ! appreciate your call

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?