NetGear WG111 question

Pat1487 20:57 22 Nov 2006

Is it possible to use the netgear wg111 to make your PC an access point?

Normally you use it to connect you PC to an access point, but my PC is already wired straight to a cable modem, and i have a laptop and a psp that i want to connect to the internet but i dont have a wireless router.

So I was wondering if it was possible to reverse it and use the netgear wg111 to make a wired internet connection into a wireless access point for my laptop and psp.

Ashrich 22:47 22 Nov 2006

Yes , you can use peer to peer , another name for it is ad hoc network , don't knoe about the PSP , unless it is also wireless enabled but if the laptop has wireless then it shouldn't be too much of a problem . Install the WG111 , without the Netgear extra software , just the drivers for it ( Windows will pick it up as a Cohiba network adapter ) then go through the Networking wizard turning on the Internet connection sharing ( and file and printer sharing if you wish ) when you come to the end you can either load the finished file onto a USB drive to transfer the settings or just tell Windows that you will do it manually , next , run the same wizard on the laptop saying you wish to connect to the internet through the other computer , make sure they all use the same network name ( by default it is Mshome ) create a WEP code , you can only use WEP in ad hoc mode , on the first computer then with the laptop search for wireless networks , you may need to make the first computer do this as well for the first time , let them find each other and on the laptop enter the WEP code , you should then be connected . For the PSP , I'm afraid I have no knowledge of them , sorry .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?