Netgear and Sky BB

bruno 17:03 16 Apr 2007

My mates' primary computer has gone back to Median for repair and he tried to set uo his internet connection on his Dell spare PC.He installed all the software properly but can not get the bottom green light to light.This is channel one of his four channel router.I went round and got him running using his wireless dongle,but what I wanted to know,as I have the same setup,is whether a broadband connection via a Sky netgear router is keyed into one computer or should you be able to substitute the PC if you want?

bruno 17:12 16 Apr 2007

Another thought on the above posting.Is it possible to have an ethernet connection on the back of the PC without it being connected, or possibly,not activated.I have looked through various places on my PC for ethernet but cannot find a reference to it,and mine works ok.

Jimmy14 17:19 16 Apr 2007

Is it the free Netgear DG834G router your friend has from sky? It can be used on multiple computers. What operating system has the spare dell pc got? What software did he install as using a ethernet cable from the router to a desktop pc doesn't need any software to use the internet?

bruno 17:27 16 Apr 2007

He has the Netgear router supplied by Sky when he joined them last autumn,but I am not sure which model it is.He used the Sky installation disc supplied at that time.Both PC's have XP home.The Dell is quite a recent model.We have both set it up as a "new" installation,but no luck until we use wireless.I suspect the ethernet connection may be faulty as he had dial up before on this PC and ethernet has never been used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?