Netgear Router - Sharing Connection

Pikachu 15:42 29 Aug 2003

Hi
I am trying to connect two machines which I successfully have using one router, the Netgear RP614.

As I have a PS2, XBOX, Gamecube and another PC upstairs I bought another Router RP114 so that i can share my connection in much ease without pulling the network cabe out of the PC and plugging it into one of the consoles just to get it online

How can I use the RP114 router to forward the internet connection to my other machines. Is this possible?

Many Thanks for all responses
Sam

zoomer 15:49 29 Aug 2003

a hub would have done this, cheaper too

Pikachu 18:20 29 Aug 2003

refresh

zoomer 19:00 29 Aug 2003

to clarify, you have two PC`s downstairs and 1 PC and assorted consoles with RJ-45 connection capability upstairs? , cant see why you would need/want two routers, hub upstairs with everything into it an it in turn connected to router downstairs

Pikachu 19:56 29 Aug 2003

I have one PC downstairs connected to the RP614 router. The RP114 is upstairs and this is connected the RP614 router.

This is where my other PC and consoles come in as I want to connect these to the RP114.

When connecting the second router (RP114) the second PC does not pick up the internet connection :(

I understand its easier with the one router and a hub. Now that I have the router I rather configure this then spend money on a new hub

Thanks
Sam

jazzypop 21:47 29 Aug 2003
  zoomer 10:04 30 Aug 2003

I`m guessing here but it is reasonably likely your router will be able to function as a "switch" alone if as many curently it icorporates this, a switch is merely a slightly more intelligent hub.
However if you get it configured and working (no reason why it shouldnt) like Jazzypops suggested method you could conceivably, (if you have geekish tendencies like the most of us) could tinker with its functions...
Let us know how you get on and your thoughts on the routers, my local exchange gets upgraded on December 3rd .....

Pikachu 14:39 30 Aug 2003

I wasnt successful in making it work when I had the second router on another subnet :( i.e. 192.168.1.1 as it would not pick up the router afterwards

So I what I did was disabe the DHCP server in the second router (RP114) and just use the LAN ports so that it behaved as a switch\hub this allows me to share the resources and the internet connection.

I'm still going to try and configure it onto another subnet as it looks fun to learn :)

Thank you both zoomer and jazzypop for your input on this, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017