Netgear router and a new PC

Willow12 09:10 22 Jun 2006

I am eagerley awaiting my new PC expected today. When I come to set it up I will be using a Netgear router connected to the tower.

My question is this. Will I need to load the installation disk for Tesco, which is my broadband provider, before loading the Netgear disk or do I not need this anymore? I am not sure whether all I need is the Tesco login information or whether I need their insallation back on the PC as well.

Hope this makes sense.

johnnyrocker 09:52 22 Jun 2006

i would think you will need to use the disk otherwise the machine will not know how to connect.

johnny.

Willow12 10:09 22 Jun 2006

So can the netgear disk not work this out by itself? If I load up the Tesco one first will it not expect to see an ADSL modem?

Eric10 10:17 22 Jun 2006

I've just replaced an old faulty Netgear router with a new DG834PN and the Netgear CD detected all my Pipex settings correctly. All I needed to supply was the username and password.

Eric10 10:28 22 Jun 2006

I have assumed a Netgear router with a built in modem but if you are using your old ADSL modem connected to the router then you may need the Tesco CD. Also when I think about it, the Netgear CD only contained instructions and a manual; the actual setup is done after logging into the router from your PC.

Willow12 10:40 22 Jun 2006

I do not use my old modem at all. I have the router connected into the ethernet port in my tower.

Ikelos 12:05 22 Jun 2006

the settings are in the router, so just plug in the new PC, assuming it has a network card, and it will find it all for you.

Willow12 12:37 22 Jun 2006

Yes I was pleased to discover that this was the case. I was all ready for a battle to get back online as these things always take me ages with lots of swearing, but once everthing was connected I didn't have to do anything!

Ikelos 12:41 22 Jun 2006

glad it is sorted...enjoy..

johnnyrocker 13:00 22 Jun 2006

dont forget to tick as resolved.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?