Netgear Router Firewall - Do I still need it?

pc_sausage 15:07 24 Jan 2006

Hi,

My new desktop should arrive this week and I've been following the advice on old threads on what free firewalls & virus checkers to install.

My netgear router has it's own firewall (I believe?). I made some changes to the settings a long time back and tried to look at these so I could put these on the new PC too.

My question is - will I need this setting up if I have ZoneAlarm (for example).

Also - if I still need it, how can I get into my set-up screen (I've lost the password & username and can't see how to retrieve them).

Thanks

seedie 15:18 24 Jan 2006

if it's a dg834 there is a reset button at the back.
Default access is username:admin password:password - all lowercase

Go to netgear and download a very helpful .pdf file for your router.

i use the built in fire wall, not ZA

CD

pc_sausage 15:24 24 Jan 2006

Thanks - that is the model, just been to get the data sheets etc.

Do you use the netgear firewall as your only firewall?

seedie 15:37 24 Jan 2006

Plus the one which comes with xp, which seems to be a bit redundant

PaulB2005 16:11 24 Jan 2006

I'm going to be buying just anti virus (NOD32) when my ZoneAlarm anti virus package runs out. I've disabled the ZA firewall and relied on the Buffalo Router to do it thing plenty of times. Might enable the Windows one though....

ade.h 16:46 24 Jan 2006

You are trying to compare two entirely different types of firewall. A NAT SPI firewall is good at preventing intrusions, which is why you'll find one lurking on any decent corporate network. A software firewall is easier to crack from the outside - assuming that anyone has a reason for doing so - but provides some control of outbound comms and program launch control, thus helping to prevent unauthorised outbound comms from any malware that may have founds its way through (and it can) and creating protocols for program access and launching.

If you view a software firewall from this angle, you'll appreciate wht it can do. Not that not all s/w f/walls are particularly sophisticated at program control. Kerio and Outpost are regarded as the best in this area.

Don't expect a s/w f/wall to provide a strong defence against external intrusions, but it is easy to over-estimate the risk of that anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?