Netgear router

mymate 12:18 18 Apr 2010

I have a Netgear router DG834g and noticed it was not secured. Its connected to my computer and Laptop. I tried to change the settings from my laptop big mistake> I put in a password for WPA and of course it didnt match the password that is on the computer. I can use the computer through the |Netgear but not the laptop.Laptop says wrong settings.Laptop gives me no options on how to change the settings or un install the connection.
Any idea what i can do now ? Please

The Kestrel 12:26 18 Apr 2010

Have you tried the start menu in Windows, then choose 'connect to', select wireless networks from the drop down menu and your network should be shown. When you try to connect, it should then ask for the WPA network password. When you enter the password the connection should go ahead.

User-312386 12:30 18 Apr 2010

Right click the wireless icon(bottom right)>select "view available networks". Double click your network and select yes to disconnect.

Now click connect your network, a box will pop up with the password, change it to the new one and then click ok. It will then connect to the network!

mymate 12:41 18 Apr 2010

Thanks The Kestrel+ madboy33©®.
I can get to the Network security key and i am putting in what i wrote on paper ages ago and it must be wrong. Windows tells me to put the Network key in again. I must have wrong key !
I can see my network but it must be the Network Key wrong. I went on the set up page and cant see a Network key on there .Can see the Wep key thats all.

User-312386 12:54 18 Apr 2010

OK go into your router via your main computer and check the security key - to do this open a web browser and type 192.168.0.1 - you dont say what your isp is - lets assume its sky, a box pops up asking for username and password, which in sky are user sky and admin for the password

Now click on set up and then change your password to one that you will remember!

Or are you sure that your NIC card is set to WPA?

Come back to us on the WPA bit if the other does not work.

mymate 14:18 18 Apr 2010

Thanks madboy33©®. I had lost connection on the main computer but its back now. The password to get into Netgear on that 192.168.0.1 is admin + password. I can geinto that ok its the password that i need so that my laptop can connect to the router.
I have got a limited connection on laptop. But thats just says "local " so cant connect to internet on that and when it says put in the password to connect to router i put the one i swear it is but it says its not !
Thanks again for your help

mymate 14:23 18 Apr 2010

Its a 13 digit password. I did try to change it but it says i have the wrong password when i have to put the new password in.
Tried re setting the router and that does nothing.

The Kestrel 16:03 18 Apr 2010

When you have the Netgear router settings on screen, choose Wireless Settings under setup, on the left hand side of the screen. You WAP key should appear as part of the wireless settings screen.

mymate 16:33 18 Apr 2010

Thanks The Kestrel.I called Aol up in the end and got the most un helpful guy. The computer is slow to load up pages and the netgear page was really slowand he lost patience Called again and a really nice guy answered. He reset the password and got the laptop working as well.I can now eat my sunday dinner that was cooked at 1pm.
Thanks every one..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache