Netgear Rangemax versus Belkin G+Mimo

GeeKay+Dee 13:29 30 Aug 2006

Been looking to get a new wireless network router and USB adapter since my previous one wasn't suitable for my needs. I did have a Belkin G router and adapter, but due to me having concrete walls, the signal was very faint.
I was recommended at the time to get the G+Mimo from belkin.
However, I have seen that PC World are offering the Netgear Rangemax pack for £80, which includes the router and Adapter.
Does anyone know if the netgear package is worthwhile, or should I spend an extra £30 and get the Belkin router and adapter?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

ade.h 20:30 30 Aug 2006

Of all MIMO systems, Belkin's appears to be the best of the bunch. The Netgear is good also, although the interface is not quite as sophisticated. I also like the Linksys equivalent. Take your pick.

Danoh 22:31 30 Aug 2006

GeeKay+Dee,
I have the Belkin MIMO router and various client wireless adapters (not Belkin).
However I do not have concrete walls so can't reassure you that you will definitely get a better signal with the Belkin pre-N MIMO router.

Obviously, MIMO does not actually generate radio waves with better "penetration" capability. It just uses the reflected multi-path signals instead.

So if there is somewhere for the signals to bounce off solid reinforced concrete walls and through weaker barriers (i.e. no metal) then there is a strong chance it would work.

Perhaps you can ask PC World if you can return the product if it does not work, especially as the previous Belkin you bought from them has not performed?

GeeKay+Dee 09:37 31 Aug 2006

Thanks for your responses. I think I'll pay a wee visit to PC World and go along the road that Danoh suggests.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?