Netgear drivers?

Diemmess 10:43 24 Jan 2008

I have been given a Netgear router DG834G v3 which came originally from an Aol bundle.

For unrelated reasons it was never used.
Unfortunately I don't have the drivers and installation CD.

Have looked at the Netgear website, can find firmware update and have downloaded the manual, but no sign of basic installation drivers!

Can someone direct me to a link please?

sinbads 11:01 24 Jan 2008

There are no drivers for the router only firmware updates. just connect the wires and enter 192.168.0.1 into your IE search, You then have to add a username and password which will be admin and password assuming the word password has not been changed.

Once in your router settings you would need to enter your ISP connection details

rdave13 11:03 24 Jan 2008

Also help on this page; click here

rdave13 11:05 24 Jan 2008

Just scroll to DG834G, then v3, has a help list.

rdave13 11:17 24 Jan 2008

If your isp is aol, have a look here; click here

Diemmess 11:32 24 Jan 2008

Thanks sinbads and rdave13

The irony is that at present I have a new laptop and am trying to avoid just this situation where at the moment I have to upset my net access while I try the next thing!

So bear in mind that both computers run XP Pro and will (I hope) Aol again when it is all installed.

Thanks again rdave13 that link should do the trick. Now why didn't I think of Aol for the method!

Daughter has call requiring attention to make a radio transplant to grandson's first car - work!

Will post back when I have had some more time to fiddle.

howard64 12:20 24 Jan 2008

I have that netgear router and it came with an installation cd. This driver should be available from netgear but if it isnt and we can workout how to upload it I should be able to get it to you.

Diemmess 17:35 24 Jan 2008

So far so good.
The Aol broadband (Help) file did the trick very easily so that my Desktop is using the router to send this.

Now how to connect to the laptop via its wireless card?

I have installed Aol 9 (to Laptop) as far as as the point where it fails to make any connection.
The "wireless" switch on the laptop is ON.

Please forgive this plodder.

Do I have to "install" the router on the laptop first and then make a wireless connection?
Or
Can you offer some routine which will make the wireless card part of the fun at last?

rdave13 00:54 25 Jan 2008

When you got the router set up via ethernet did you also set up the wireless section? If you did then you must have given your network (ssid) a name and a security key was generated. If not then run the 'easy installer' again and when it asks to set up wireless click ok. Make a note of name and security key.
Your laptop should detect a network now; click here .

rdave13 01:01 25 Jan 2008

PS,no need for AOL software on laptop and you should have created a new screen name (+18) and password solely for the router.

Diemmess 14:35 26 Jan 2008

Thanks to the help I found here, I was able to install the router ...... except that it lacked any broadcasting power and is headed for next weeks bin!
I could go on line but the laptop couldn't connect wirelessly. At a friend and later a local shop, the lapton found all sorts, but not at home.

So the problem is resolved and a new router is up and working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?