Netgear dg834gt +wpn111 server problem

qubert 10:52 06 Nov 2005

Hi,trying to help a family member set up a wireless network . They've set up a p.c with Netgear DG834GT & can access I.E no problem.(on broadband)
In the next room a laptop fitted with WPN111 installed,seems ok as the laptop icon flashing green(for good connection shows)yet when connecting to I.E ,Cannot find server appears.Have tried searching these forums,came close a couple of times but still can't find an answer. DHCP is enabled ,tried NETGEAR web site could'nt get much joy :-(,unfortunatly the c.d's that installed equipment have been lost/misplaced due to moving. Hope someone can help please as now i'm at a loss!! .Even to the point of moving laptop into the same room.

qubert 10:55 06 Nov 2005

Also forgot to mention both systems run X.P with service pack2

Pouchiou 13:57 10 Nov 2005

I am thinking of setting up a wireless network for two desktop computers and a laptop. I have blueyonder broad band connection. I plan to use a WGR 14 U.K router and USB plug ins for the computers. Will it work? Do I need and expert to install it? I am computer literate.
Grateful for advice and encouragement

Do you have the Wireless Network Connection symbol next to the Local Area Connection Symbol (probably with a cross through it to say that the cable is unconnected) in the task bar?
I am on a Laptop, using a DG834GT, connected to my PC upstairs so I might be able to help! (will try but not overly knowledgeable on the subject!)

mgmcc 23:10 10 Nov 2005

<<< In the next room a laptop fitted with WPN111 installed,seems ok as the laptop icon flashing green(for good connection shows)yet when connecting to I.E ,Cannot find server appears >>>

Has the wireless adapter actually connected to the network, which will be indicated by a 'halo' round the top of the icon in the software's site monitor?

If so, has the wireless adapter got its addresses (IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Server) by DHCP from the router? These will be:

IP - 192.168.x.x

Subnet - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.x.1 (the *router's* IP address)

DNS Server - 192.168.x.1 (the *router's* IP address)

mgmcc 23:23 10 Nov 2005

<<< I have blueyonder broad band connection. I plan to use a WGR 14 U.K router and USB plug ins for the computers. Will it work? >>>

Yes, it should do. Power down the Cable Modem, connect the routers WAN port to the modem and one of its LAN ports to the PC's network adapter. Power on the Modem and when it is online boot the router. When the router is running, boot the PC. There will be a little bit of configuration for the router to get online and to set up its wireless settings. Once that's done, you can connect wirelessly and disconnect the ethernet cable between PC and router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone