Netgear DG834GT - Can't Connect

billy_sw 13:41 30 Jul 2006

Netgear DG834GT - Can't Connect

Have tried without success to install a Netgear DG834GT Modem Router that I purchased yesterday. All the relevant lights on the modem have came on as per the installation CD and the cables (ethernet and phone line) are connected correctly along with the filter.

When I get to Step 3 of the set-up CD it asks me to configure the TCP/IP settings on the computer. I don't know how to do this manually and assume that it’s done via the set-up routine. At this stage of the set-up the CD also asks me to click on an operating system (presumably to configure the TCP/IP settings). When I double-click on 'Windows XP' from the list of operating systems nothing happens. (Could the set-up CD be faulty?)

I then re-started the computer and clicked on ‘Settings’ as instructed. This opened my IE6 browser window but it would not connect to click here (the Netgear set up page). Instead I received the message “Cannot find server”. I’ve tried the above a few times.

When I’ve had the new Netgear modem/router plugged in 'Network Connections’ viewed through the Windows Control Panel confirms my old ADSL Speedtouch modem as ‘disconnected under ‘Dial Up’. The "LAN or High Speed Internet 1394 Connection" is shown as being connected. In the ‘Connect using’ box in LAN Properties the Netgear DG834GT is not showing. All that is showing is “LAN 1394 Net Adapter”.

My ISP is Virgin Net.

I’m not all that technically inclined and would welcome any suggestions?

Cheers

Billy

mgmcc 14:11 30 Jul 2006

Forget the "1394" connection as that is Firewire.

You should initially be connecting to the router with an ethernet cable from the PC's network adapter to one of the router's LAN ports. The PC's network adapter is the "Local Area Connection" in the Network Connections folder. If you cannot then access the router by entering its IP address (192.168.0.1) into a web browser, try allocating a fixed IP address to the Local Area Connection.

Right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Highlight the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" entry and click the Properties button. In the next box, select "Use the following IP address" and enter:

IP address - 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1 (the Router's IP address).

Then see if you can access the router's Setup by typing 192.168.0.1 into your browser.

billy_sw 18:07 30 Jul 2006

Thanks for getting back to me.

Local Area Connection is not showing in the Network Connections folder. I've followed the instructions in the "create new connection wizard" as follows;
- Connect to the Internet
- Set up my connection manually
- Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

I get a message at the end saying that "Your broadband connection should already be configured and ready to use". In the Network Connections folder however, the only icon under LAN or High Speed Internet is one for 1394 Connection Net Adapter which you said to ignore.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Billy

ade.h 18:12 30 Jul 2006

So is your Ethernet LAN adapter/port actually installed properly? Bit of a rhetorical question, since it obviously isn't - but checking will give you an opportunity to sort it out and install it correctly.

By the way: routers don't install and you can put aside that setup CD. Access the configuration UI through a browser as mgmcc has described.

billy_sw 18:56 30 Jul 2006

In 'Device Manager' accessed through 'My Computer', Ethernet Controller and USB Controller both show a yellow question mark. Is this part of my problem and if so, is there something I need to do to fix it?
Thanks

mgmcc 20:00 30 Jul 2006

You need to install the drivers for your Ethernet and USB Controllers. Depending on what sort of PC you have, these may be on a "Motherboard" CD, a supplied "Drivers" CD or you may need to visit the manufacturer's website to download the drivers.

billy_sw 22:09 30 Jul 2006

Many thanks mgmcc. Installed the driver as you suggested and am now connected. Just about to connect my daughters PC.
Thanks again!
Billy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?