Netgear DG834GT

cearve 20:33 06 May 2007

I am at the moment using a Netgear DG834 ADSL wireless router / modem rated as 54 Mbps, 802.11g, with a direct Lan cable connection. I am thinking of getting the later version of this, the Netgear DG834GT which has a 108 Mbps. I also intend using this with a direct Lan cable.
Will I notice any significant improvement if I do this?
Will I need to run the new software and set up a new connection or would it run with the older connection?
Your views would be appreciated. Thanks

STREETWORK 20:40 06 May 2007

It will not make a significant difference at all.

If you do go for an GT then you will need to uninstall software and drivers then set up the new router...

cearve 20:55 06 May 2007

Thanks STREETWORK. I mainly use my computer for surfing the net. I don't want to change modem router for no reason so I will keep what I've already. Thanks for your help.

Danoh 21:53 06 May 2007

If you only use the router with a direct LAN ethernet cable and do not use the wireless function, it would be advisable for your security and loss of broadband bandwidth to others piggy-backing a free ride, to disable the wireless function in your router.

The GT's extra claimed 108 Mbps, up from the theoretical max 0f 54 Mbps throughput is for wireless connection only. And any increase can only be achieved if you also get a matching 108Mbps capable adapter for any "client" computer connecting wirelessly to the router.

setecio 22:36 06 May 2007

What is your broadband speed ? 5Mbps? 5 is one tenth of 54 so increasing to 108 will be a waste of money. If you are using ethernet cable then I think the ports will hadle 100Mbps. The 54 to 108 is purely a wireless increase, and irrelevant for current internet surfing.

Dipso 01:24 07 May 2007

You seem to have made up your mind to stay with what you have got, which seems the appropriate going off your current use.

For future reference, you shouldn't have any software/drivers loaded for a router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?