Netgear DG834G re-establishing link

Mike_R 22:40 23 Jul 2008

I've had to reload Windows XP on my son's desktop but can't get the broadband ethernet link working again. The wireless laptop connection is still fine.
I've loaded the Netgear CD and followed the instructions. All the lights come on as described but I get a message saying that it can't find the ethernet link or router.
Is there something else, say in Windows XP, that I should also do?
Thanks in advance for replies.

bebbo 22:15 24 Jul 2008

If you reload windows you need to reinstall the drivers for for sound, video, lan etc.You may have got these on disk with your pc? if not you will need to get a friend to download for you

Ashrich 23:47 24 Jul 2008

Have you tried directly accessing the router using a web browser ? With the router plugged in and turned on , open a browser window and type in to the address bar 192.168.0.1 and press enter , if it opens with a page from Netgear asking you to log in then the network port is Ok

As the router is already connected to the internet you don't actually need to run the set up at all , have a look in device manager to see if the network port is listed if not use the PC that can connect wirelessly and download the appropriate driver , stick it on a USB key and transfer across .

Ashley

dawood 16:48 25 Jul 2008

Take a look on this network adapter configuration in XP article click here , see whether it helps..

Mike_R 17:20 25 Jul 2008

I will not get a chance to have another go until sometime next week. I didn't look at the network configuration last time, so will now do so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?