Netgear DG834G And Intel Centrino-HELP!!

Jake_027 22:36 04 Jan 2007

Hi,

I am on AOL broadband and have just got this router so I can go wireless with my new laptop-An Acer 5633Wlmi. It has built in centrino duo wireless. I connected the laptop by ethernet first to the router and set it up, it could connect to the internet and the wireless network was detected on my other PC and it could connect-albeit with no internet. I realised I had set up wrong anyway and connected desktop PC via ethernet-now it can get onto the internet and the laptop can connect to the wireless network-but not to the internet. The Internet light is on on the router but when i try to connect using the computer that isn't plugged in via ethernet it won't work. I looked at the connections in control panel and they had a yellow triangle with "limited or no connectitity even though signal stregth was excellent and all connected. I tried repairing in network connections control panel but it just says "windows cannot renew your IP address please contact the owner of this network". Its bugging me as I was really looking forward to going wireless.

Any help please?

Jake

P.S. Firewall was disabled!

fitshase 22:47 04 Jan 2007

Have you tried resetting the router? There should be a little button on the back to press.

This will release all IP addresses of the computers on the network and renew them again once rebooted.

Jake_027 22:52 04 Jan 2007

Just reset it-internet still works on ethernet connected desktop but still the same problem with the laptop-so much for centrino "mobile technology" lol.

Thanks for the suggestion

Jake

Jake_027 23:23 04 Jan 2007

Help?

Jake_027 23:55 04 Jan 2007

Thanks to click here I disabled WEP and now all is well. So much for useful security!

Netgear login-to disable WEP go to IE or Firefox
In the address bar type click here
Go to "wireless settings" on the left
Disable WEP
Save and logout.

Username: admin
Password: password

Gonna try with WPA now!
Thanks to fitshase though :)

Jake

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?