Netgear DG834G firewall question

willo500 18:43 12 Nov 2007

Hi

I have an iMac, MBP, Dell Desktop, and HP laptop all accessing the internet via a Netgear DG834G wireless router. This router was originally set up for the windows machines as I am a recent Mac user. I have installed Leopard on my iMac without any problems so far (apart from the documented error message on Disk Utility, which I can cope with for the time being ! ).

So far so good.

I have heard about the Leopard firewall being a bit suspect and being pretty useless when it comes to computing I am not sure whether the wireless router has a Firewall function built in. I bought it a few years ago and cant remember much about it. I just installed it and forgot about it. I only added the Macs to the network in the last few months. I am unsure what to to. Can anyone advise please?

mgmcc 19:16 12 Nov 2007

The DG834G will act as a hardware firewall but, as with any router, it only acts on incoming traffic. With my PCs, I also use Zone Alarm in order to monitor which programs are allowed to access the internet, but with my Mac (Tiger), I've never enabled its firewall.

willo500 11:17 13 Nov 2007

Thanks mgmcc. Do I not need to do anything to set up the router to let it take care of the firewall?

Willie

mgmcc 12:47 14 Nov 2007

No. The router will act as a hardware firewall anyway.

willo500 16:55 28 Nov 2007

Hi and thanks again. Sorry for the slow response I haven't been on the site for a bit. Thanks again

Willie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?