Netgear DG834G Ethernet connectivity problem

Newbridge 22:42 18 Feb 2009

Computor is MEDIAN (5 years old)
Current Modem Speedtouch ADSL connected by USB port.

Seeking to replace this with Netgear Wireless G Modem Router.

Using installation CD

Ethernet cable from back of Netgear into only port at back of PC that will take it.All lights coming on a expected with no problems.
Seems I have internet connection.

Message coming on screen that seems to indicate that the connection is 'already in use by another application '?? (difficult to see how) or needs to be 'configured' ?

Where do I go from here?

mgmcc 12:37 19 Feb 2009

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

If you are unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there.

This might give an indication of what the problem is.

Newbridge 10:41 20 Feb 2009

Thanks for your prompt response. Did try what you suggested but did not feel confident to follow it through. you dont know what damage I can do to PC programmes.
Took the easy way out and enlisted the help of a PC literate friend who , after 3 hours of patient work had the rouetr installed and both desk top and new lap top linked in and functional. No idea what problem was but did'nt want to bother the guy to much while he was working.
But thanks for your kindness.

Newbridge

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?