Netgear DG834 Config with Virgin Media

RobCharles1981 19:01 11 Sep 2007

I've successfully connected now to Virgin Media as my isp, on 8mb, but getting around 1.5 Download, I suppose I have to give it at least 10 Days for a true result if not its something else that might be wrong.

Anyway has anyone got the same router as I have the Netgear DG834 what settings should I use??

Dipso 20:54 11 Sep 2007

Depends what speed you are connected at but follow this and post your line stats -

click here

If you are prompted to login, the username is admin and the password is password unless you have changed them.

Then take this test click here and post back with the results.

RobCharles1981 20:54 11 Sep 2007

Bump:

I think its my line I've tried My Netgear Router and the Speed Touch Modem, I may have to get BT Out to sort it.

RobCharles1981 21:00 11 Sep 2007

What do you mean by your first link? Right now Ive got the Speed Touch Modem connected right now.

Dipso 21:04 11 Sep 2007

I was trying to show you how to get your line statistics. You mentioned a Netgear in your first post. It's a different method using a Speedtouch -

If you do not have Dr. SpeedTouch installed, download it from: click here

Once installed, there should be a new system tray icon appear. Right click on the icon and choose Advanced then Write log file to disk. It will ask you where to save the file - choose your desktop for convenience.

Once the window disappears, double click on the file called drst.xml on your desktop to view your line stats.

It's impossible to say whether you are getting the right speed unless we know these details.

RobCharles1981 21:14 11 Sep 2007

ok from the netgear router right now here are the line stats:

Line Attenuation 18 db 4.5 db

As for the BT Speed Tester it appears to be busy.

Dipso 21:41 11 Sep 2007

Is your connection speed 8128...it should be. If it is you should be able to get speeds nearer 7 Meg. Keep trying the Bt Speedtester to find out what the profile is for your line

RobCharles1981 21:46 11 Sep 2007

Connection Speed 7744 kbps 448 kbps

Thats what it says in the router.

Dipso 21:56 11 Sep 2007

OK, are you connecting through an extension? You may need to look at your internal phone wiring as you should get the full 8 Meg as you have a short line to the exchange click here

In any case, you should be getting near 6 Meg downlaod speeds with that current connection speed and your profile result from the BT Speedtester should be 6500, keep trying with the test.

I just hope the reason you are only getting 1.5 Meg download speed is because your profile has not yet caught up and not Virgin's capacity issues...I did try to warn you.

RobCharles1981 22:06 11 Sep 2007

Thanks Dipso link looked at above, I printed out a copy of that today, ile study that diagram tomorrow and check filter arrangements.

I'm connecting on an extension cable unfortunately so that could be a theory too look at.

I asked virgin about my current speed issue they said they are doing line checks over the next 10 Days to determine the speed that I should be getting, might also explain the high ping in games as well, with AOL I was on 30 now with virgin 200!!

I think ile start by looking at the filter scene tomorrow, and see how things go, then if no better Ile ask BT to send an Engineer out to sort out the issue.

Dipso 22:38 11 Sep 2007

The extension will be the likely cause of the lower than expected connection speed.

If your latency is set to interleave this could account for the higher ping times. The only way you'll find out is to check the routers advancced stats, post back if you want to know how.

Be careful with the BT Engineer visit, if a fault is found in your property they could charge you handsomely.

If I were you I would check your wiring, wait the 10 days and confirm your profile before you arrange the engineer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?