Netgear DG834

Linkychain 17:38 22 Jan 2008

I have two questions:

1. I have a Dell Dimension 3000, it seems to have an Ethernet connection at the back, on the netgear site
site (click here)
it says that to connect the Netgear DG834 to a computer you need an FA311 network card, is this true?

2. In order to share the internet between other computers do they needed to be connected to be connected on a network? If so is there a different modem/router which to share the internet access you don't have to put the computers on an network?

BurrWalnut 18:53 22 Jan 2008

That router will connect by Ethernet cable to your Dell.

It can connect 3 other computers by cable and can additionally connect others wirelessly, e.g. a laptop downstairs.

Newer laptops are wireless ready so no other equipment is needed. If you want to connect a desktop wirelessly, you will need an adapter.

Ashrich 21:07 22 Jan 2008

I think the DG834 is wired only .....

Ashley

Dipso 22:15 22 Jan 2008

You don't need to get a FA311 network card, the one built into your Dell will be fine.

You don't need a home network to share internet access. Just connect each or one PC to the router via a network cable.

BurrWalnut 08:35 23 Jan 2008

Thanks for that.

I used to have that model with a G on the end and assumed the OP had missed the G off.

Linkychain 17:44 23 Jan 2008

Thanks

Linkychain 12:34 02 Feb 2008

Thanks.
I have now discovered that one of the computers, which is older (Dell 8200) does not have that ethernet connection but a smaller one like a phone line. Can I get an adapter to make it connect to that or can i get it to conect via the USB?

BurrWalnut 12:49 02 Feb 2008

You need one of these click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?