Netgear DG632 modem router

sputnick 13:52 28 May 2006

I have installed DG632 using the ethernet connection and was looking to connect my laptop using the USB port.
I spent 2 evenings talking to their techies trying to get it to work with the laptop.
In the end I gave up and am still using it with my desktop and lan.
I e-mailed Netgear who then told me I can`t connect my laptop to the USB port and that I must set it up for the desktop to use USB and the laptop to use the Lan.
Why doesn`t it work either way.
Can I connect a wireless router to it and put a PMCIA card in the laptop.

pifko 14:14 28 May 2006

You may need to install some software with the PCMIA card, if not done already.

sputnick 15:35 28 May 2006

Thanks pifko.
has anyone had the same setup problems??

mgmcc 20:57 28 May 2006

<<< Netgear who then told me I can`t connect my laptop to the USB port and that I must set it up for the desktop to use USB and the laptop to use the Lan >>>

That has to be nonsense. How could a router possibly know whether the computer connecting to it was a desktop PC or a laptop (or a Mac or Linux for that matter)? An ethernet connection is an ethernet connection, running over TCP/IP protocol.

You could plug a network switch into the router's ethernet port to provide additional LAN ports.

If you do want a "wireless" connection, connect the desktop PC by USB and plug a Wireless Access Point into the router's ethernet port. Having said that, stand-alone Wireless Access points tend to be very expensive and you could probably get a new Wireless Router for about the same price.

anskyber 21:41 28 May 2006

Views are entirely correct if my recent experience is to be followed. I accept that my Speedtouch router/modem is a different make but I faced the same problem as you. I chose the ethernet for the PC because of the "possible" BB bandwidth improvement and connected the laptop to a USB connection. I went though the set up wizard (both are on XP)and with a bit of fixing to get the printer to work I have a functioning home network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?