Netgear DG34G/ WG111 adaptor set up to AOL

gzerovti 09:54 03 May 2007

I wonder if anyone can help please?
I have AOL v9 broadband on my PC with windows XP running at the moment using an extension cable from the main BT socket in the kitchen. No problems but I need to get rid of the wires and house refurbishment gives me the golden opportunity.
I have the Netgear DG34G v3 wireless router from AOL and I would like to use this to send a signal from my BT socket in the kitchen to my PC in a downstairs room. I have the Netgear WG111 adaptor to go into a USB socket on my PC.
AOL have sent me a cd with the package and I have the Netgear cd with the adaptor.
My question is how do I install this set up?
Do I have to install the AOL cd as well as the adaptor cd?
Hoping you can help.
Thanks
Terry

postie24 16:16 03 May 2007

Yes you need to run the software for both,run the adaptor software 1st,you should have a wireless icon in system tray when finished.
Then run the router software and get that up and running.
Keeping the ethernet cable connected,go to the router homepage,by typing in 192.168,0.1 in the address bar in your browser.
Click on the wireless tab,security/encryption,here you will be asked for user name/password.Then enter the wep key,normally found underside of router,enter the key and click apply.
Now go to the wireless icon in system tray,right click,view available networks,connect to your network,enter wep key,and you should up and running wirelessly.
You can change wep key to a more secure wpa key after

Postie24

Jake_027 17:15 03 May 2007

for your router. Open AOL and type in home netowrking, then select wireless and look up your router. There is an installer package for it. Run that and it will set the router up for you, however I would recommend changing security from WEP to WPA once the installer has finished. For the wireless adaptor, run the netgear software if you want, but I found that if I plugged it in while XP was online XP found drivers anyway, and it seems a lot easier to configure using XP rather than netgears software. However if you do install netgears adaptor software it will disable fast user swiching and the picture login screen on xp, that can be fixed using the file from this link click here. Other than that, you should be fine.

Jake

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017