Netgear ADSL Router and length of cables

whitehall 22:05 27 Mar 2006

Can anyone advice on whether it is possible to connect a Netgear ADSL Modem Router to a computer which might be 35m away by way of a ethernet cable?
I know wireless seems the best solution but there are seriously thick farmhouse walls in the way.
Any comments much appreciated.
Have thought about a Netgear RangeMax ADSL Modem Wireless Router (DG834PN) but this would need to be bought before it can be tried and if it doesn't work - well it's a lot of money wasted.
Thanks
Sharon

rsinbad 22:26 27 Mar 2006

should be ok.

click here

rsinbad 22:35 27 Mar 2006

another idea.
click here

Danoh 00:03 28 Mar 2006

With 35m distance, I guess we are talking about the router being in a separate building to where a computer (or computers) is?

If its only internet access that is required, and not being able to transfer large files, stream video, play games, use VoIP, etc., between PCs in different buildings, then there is another option with standard 802.11g (non-MIMO) and directional aerials.

If the thick farmhouse walls could be damp as well or there are numerous metal structures inside, then wireless is not likley to be a succesful proposition.

A wired Ethernet cable connection is the most assured method.
You will probably have to consider burying the cable underground, with all the usual earthing and protection from being being cut/dug accidentally.
Unless you can safely run the cable overhead, say attached to a piece of wood or inside a metal pipe between the buildings, then clipped along a building's wall.

The router you have in mind is a MIMO device, which is absolutely great inside one large building, as it uses the walls to bounce multi-path and multi channels of signals. Even with thick walls.

Danoh 00:15 28 Mar 2006

Or rsinbad's PowerLine transmission device for internet access (14Mbps, although I have seen capacity of around 50 Mbps max as well), if you have common power circuits (i.e. shares the same consumer unit or main electric meter board).

whitehall 08:47 28 Mar 2006

Thank you to Dahoh & rsinbad for your very helpful comments - all of which I have taken onboard and am now contemplating - grateful thanks

Danoh 10:44 28 Mar 2006

Sure thing; just post back with any further queries.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?