Netgear adapter in HP Pavilion = very poor signal

peter.robson 22:10 09 Aug 2006

I'm using a Netgear WG511T in two laptops, both running XP Home, at home. With my Acer laptop, signal strength is excellent all over the house. When I use the same adapter in my HP Pavilion, the signal strength is very poor, and I can only achieve internet connectivity if the laptop is within a few feet of the wireless modem. (I'm monitoring signal reception using this web page signal test: click here). Consequentially, wireless connectivity isn't really practical with the HP, but I can find no way of solving this problem. HP help / support were not much help, other than to suggest their product may be incompatible with the Netgear adapter.

Has anyone any experience of this odd situation? And better still, a possible solution?

Thanks very much.

ade.h 22:28 09 Aug 2006

What happens when you try a different brand or type of adapter or when you test the Netgear adapter with another PC?

If you have not yet performed these tests, do so if at all possible. Use equipment from friends if necessary.

And - age old question - are you using the Netgear software or letting XP manage the connection with said software NOT installed?

peter.robson 23:57 09 Aug 2006

Thanks for swift response. Answers:
1 - Never needed to try alternative adapter in Acer. Originally tried a different product in HP (can't recall manufacturer), but performance was so bad that I purchased Netgear for HP too. To attempt to test other adapters is problematic. Unless I can borrow one from a friend, it would involve purchasing one (or more...). I shall try borrowing.

In passing, HP refused to recommend a product that they could endorse as working satisfactorily.

2 - On software management. No, of course I am using the Netgear software, and NOT the default XP stuff.

dms05 06:39 10 Aug 2006

The accepted wisdom is to junk the Netgear Wireless Utility and allow XP to control all WiFi. Many people have found this to be the best solution for all brands and I had many problems trying to use Netgears utility on my system.

I also use a new Acer laptop and their implementation of WiFi gives me a significantly better reception than my older Toshiba. It's not that the Toshiba is bad it's the Acer which is better. The claim improved antenna technology.

ade.h 13:47 10 Aug 2006

Re point two. You might improve things if you cahnge that situation. None of us recommend using 3rd-party software with USB adapters. I NEVER use it when installing a USB or PCI adapter. It is occasionally necessary with PCMCIA. click here and scroll to the bottom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?