Netgear 834N router Upgrade problem

U10 12:35 11 May 2008

I have just upgraded the software for the Netgear 834N router and my main computer works fine on the internet. However my networked (Vista) computer cannot access the internet any more and cannot find my main computer when I choose the option "connect to a network". Can anyone tell me how to get my second computer reconnected and back on the internet? Thanks a lot.

maanse 12:49 11 May 2008

first off try right clicking the network icon in system tray and click 'repair' see if that fixes it itself.

Vista does need the connection repairing sometimes.

U10 12:53 11 May 2008

No good I'm afraid - I've just got lists of other networks in the area!! (But not mine)

Ashrich 13:14 11 May 2008

Has the firmware update turned the SSID off ? If you can't see your router then maybe it isn't broadcasting , did you do a power cycle ( remove power to the router , leave 30 seconds , then reapply ) after the update ?

Ashley

U10 13:14 11 May 2008

I have downgraded back to the original router software and everything is fine again - sometimes upgrading just doesn't pay!!

Dipso 21:32 11 May 2008

Sometimes it's better to see what the improvements are and if you would benefit from them before you ugrade your firmware. Any improvements to the modem side are likely to be beneficial but this latest update included Annex M support which would only benefit you if you were on the faster LLU services, QoS which prioritises wireless voice and video traffic and Wireless Distribution Service which allows expansion of your wireless coverage. If you wouldn't benefit from these it's probably best not to bother.

I use a custom firmware for my DG834N which gained me some connection speed but again I am on a high speed up to 24 Meg connection so I could benefit from it. If you're interested there are details at click here=

U10 21:42 11 May 2008

Thanks for the advice Dipso. I shall be very careful with any future firmware updates. I really didn't think there wuld be a problem but it's easy to be wise after the event. I reinstalled the factory settings on the Netgear router and the original software and (touch wood) everything's working! Best wishes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone