netgear 108mbps wireless card setup

sah1157 19:56 18 May 2007

i have a dell inspiron 1501 laptop [3 months old]which is connected wirelessly to my orange livebox using the dell card supplied, giving me a 54mbps connection. however i have just acquired a netgear 108mbps wg511t wireless card. if i use the netgear card will i be able to get 108mbps speed with the livebox or will it only work with a netgear wireless router?

Danoh 21:45 18 May 2007

To get any increased wireless bandwidth, you will need to match the method by which it's being "turbo-ed". That varies by manufacturer and sometimes, even between models from one manufacturer.

You won't with the Orange Livebox which appears to be standard 54 Mbps.

So you will need a new Netgear 108 mbps wireless router to match, safely.
click here
It appears Netgear promotes 3 of their routers under the "Related Products" section on the right hand side of that web page.

Strawballs 12:29 20 May 2007

If you only use the wireless for the laptop to access the net and not for an internal network sharing large files then you will not notice the difference anyway because 54mbps will out perform your orange connection speed by a long way.

Ashrich 21:48 22 May 2007

Your WG511T will also work ( actually , connect ) at 108MB/S with TRENDnet 108mb/s routers ( 611brp ) and equivalents from D-Link ( 634 ) and Zyxel ( 330 ) and any other using Atheros chipsets with turbo mode . If you do go down the route of using the WG511T only install the drivers and not the utilities , let Windows manage your connection , it makes a much better job .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?