Netbook - Windows Intallation

CDL 23:41 09 Jan 2009

I have a Toshiba NB100 Netbook and I would like to format the drive and put Windows XP on (without all the bundled baggage).
Using an external optical drive (Elonex) I have attempted numerous times to install the new o/s. All appears fine and the files load up. However when the setup arrives at 'Setup is starting windows' I get a blue Stop error screen (BSOD). It advises running chkdsk etc - which doesnt find anything. The machine runs fine when running Windows and the external optical drive reads other media perfectly.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

CDL

Terminus90 23:50 09 Jan 2009

Do you not have an internal cd/dvd drive from which to boot from the XP cd?

CDL 23:58 09 Jan 2009

No, Terminus90, It does not have an optical drive.

Terminus90 01:23 10 Jan 2009

does it have a floppy drive?

CDL 17:40 10 Jan 2009

No it doesn't have a floppy drive either !

ventanas 22:04 10 Jan 2009

On my netbook, although not a Toshiba, there are two ways to reinstall Windows, from the hidden partition, or from a backup of the installation files created in the same way as to a CD, but on this machine the files are copied to a pen drive.
The pen drive needed to be at least 2Gb.
Do you have this option with yours?

CDL 23:37 10 Jan 2009

Hello ventanas - No not as such;but I do have a 2Gb pen drive and the Windows CD. But how do I make the pen drive 'bootable'. There is an option in the boot order to boot from 'USB Memory' so theoretically then I should be able to do what you are suggesting ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?