Netbook purchase advice

GrannyA 19:33 25 Jun 2010

My daughter is buying me a netbook. I have looked at various reviews and like asus. However, what is the benefit
of Bluetooth? I am used to XP but am told that Windows
7 is easy and newer. Do any of them 'burn' a CD ( with external bit) I will use when travelling for internet, emails, photos,skype, a spreadsheet and photos. Max price £350
thank you.

GrannyA 19:36 25 Jun 2010

Forgot one point, if possible I would like to be able to increase the font size on screen when necessary.

woodchip 20:54 25 Jun 2010

Samsung is best to go for, I have a nc 10

mgmcc 22:02 25 Jun 2010

>>> However, what is the benefit of Bluetooth?

The Netbook could be connected to a Bluetooth enabled phone, so that the phone can be used as a modem for internet access. Also for transferring photos between phone and Netbook.

>>> Do any of them 'burn' a CD (with external bit)

Windows 7 "Starter Edition", which is used in Netbooks, supports burning of both CD and DVD when a suitable external drive is attached.

chub_tor 08:20 26 Jun 2010

I recently purchased an HP MIni-210 from Staples who have them on sale. Great machines, good spec and you can get them for around £240. One example click here I bought mine from the local store but got the version with the bigger hard drive the 1011ea for the same price but later upgraded the Windows 7 starter ot the full Home package so that I could have all the aero effects and other added features.

I use an external DVD writer from LG on one of the USB sockets and that works fine. I have no need of Bluetooth but my son uses it with his mobile phone and his SatNav.

onthelimit 09:10 26 Jun 2010

I too have an NC10 - chosen for its large keyboard and 8hr battery life. You will find W7 takes a bit of getting used to, but it's quite intuitive. An external drive will only cost £20-30 and runs from a USB port. I do find the mini-mouse that I've bought easier to use than the Samsung touchpad. Font size? Assuming the same as XP, Ctrl and roll the mouse wheel to increase/decrease size of display.

woodchip 16:48 26 Jun 2010

i also use a usb wireless mouse on my samsung

GrannyA 17:00 26 Jun 2010

Thank you all so much. I'll keep all in mind and decide over the next week when the day of purchase arrives. I see not all have 3G, is this for internet wireless when on the go or does just wifi do that?

mgmcc 17:33 26 Jun 2010

If the Netbook is "3G" enabled, you can put a mobile phone SIM card in and connect to the internet via the mobile phone network. The same result can be achieved by plugging in a "Mobile Broadband" USB dongle, if 3G isn't built in.

WiFi lets you connect to a Wireless Router or public "Hotspots".

penholder 21:13 26 Jun 2010

For software to work with full functionality, must it be installed on the same drive as the operating system? e.g C:Programme Files.
Can I install it on an external drive?

Strawballs 21:19 26 Jun 2010

My son has has an Asus netbook for about 18months and it is good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017