netbook problem

morgueman 14:58 08 Oct 2011

Hello all, my daughter has a Samsung netbook, she was on the internet when her keys went funny, press R and " comes up instead, its the same for all the keys, she restarted her netbook, but she now cant get pass her password screen, the keys she usually types for it have all changed so she isnt able to type her password!

Tried starting it in safemode but it just goes to here password screen again!

Anyone help please?

Thanks

northumbria61 15:23 08 Oct 2011

Try pressing the FN+NumLk keys to reset.

morgueman 15:31 08 Oct 2011

hello, tried that but it dosent work i'm afraid, no light comes up on the netbook showing if its on or not!!

northumbria61 15:36 08 Oct 2011

Try FN+F11 (or F12) some machines do vary.

morgueman 15:39 08 Oct 2011

tried that thanks, but since all the keys have changed i have no idea which key is fn or which one is F12, etc!!

rdave13 15:42 08 Oct 2011

If Win 7 basic can you click on the ease of access icon bottom left on the log-in screen and select the on-screen keyboard to log in. Then try a system restore.

northumbria61 15:43 08 Oct 2011

Every manufacturer has different combinations - can you try fn+scrolllock/numlock key

lotvic 16:00 08 Oct 2011

Sorry if I am stating the obvious but just to be clear 'pressing the FN+NumLk keys' means that you have to hold down FN while you press the NumLk.

Have you tried Fn + Shift +Numlk

Also I think that holding down FN while you type password in might work.

A few more combinations on ClickHere

morgueman 16:19 08 Oct 2011

well got into the netbook using the login screen keyboard, tried the system restore, nothing, still the same! I can see the FN key on the netbook, but that and the rest of the keys dont correspond to what they are meant to do, think that is the problem really!

rdave13 16:24 08 Oct 2011

Using the virtual keyboard type cmd in the search box. Right click it in the list box and select run as administrator. Type sfc /scannow and press enter. Note the space between c and /.

woodchip 17:23 08 Oct 2011

See if the Keyboard Works in BIOS, you have to use Keyboard in BIOS as Mouse does not work. Also this will tell you if its a Hard Drive Problem as BIOS is not linked to Windows. It sounds like you may have the same Netbook as me a Samsung NC10

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?