Netbook Chips

Joe G 23:22 09 Mar 2011

Hi all

I'm considering getting a cheap netbook mainly for web surfing and playing music through my hifi (especially Spotify)

I notice some have the Atom 450 and some the Atom 455 processor - is the 455 any better in terms of performance - from what I have read boosting the usual 1Gb RAM to 2Gb seems to have more impact, though I'm not that keen on opening up a new machine to do this if it is not essential.

Advice most welcome

Cheers
Joe

northumbria61 23:41 09 Mar 2011

They are both 1.66Ghz CPU's - there is a slight difference in the "benchmark" but I don't think this would be noticeable to the average user.

Personally I would look to purchase one with 2GB of RAM which would avoid you having to "upgrade" it at a later date - and note that if you were to do this during the Warranty period it may invalidate it.

northumbria61 23:42 09 Mar 2011

Scroll down to see the "benchmark" difference here click here

Blubottle 13:43 10 Mar 2011

I have just been playing with my son in laws new Advent One D255 it's quite impressive works very well with skype about £200, look online

northumbria61 14:03 10 Mar 2011

Bluebottle - Advent One D255 ? - are you sure it isn't an Acer Aspire One D255? I think you will find it is.

northumbria61 14:11 10 Mar 2011

Joe G - here is the Acer One D255 from John Lewis -click here - you will get a 2yr Warranty as standard from them. It is £20 more expensive at Comet with only a 1yr Warranty.

The only other thing I would add - and as above with regards to RAM it is only a personal view - some Manufacturers are now installing Windows 7 Home Premium on their Netbooks as opposed to the Starter edition - so maybe something else to consider - although I can see from your requirements it is not for heavy usage.

Joe G 23:55 10 Mar 2011

Cheers all for the responses - seems like there is little difference between the chips - the one I am considering is

click here

northumbria61 00:00 11 Mar 2011

Joe G - looks a good buy and should be suitable for your needs.

Joe G 00:37 11 Mar 2011

Cheers - thats what I thought!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?