.Net Framwork and Hauppauge TV card

xquest 21:34 11 Jan 2010

I am trying to load the TV software for the Hauppauge dual tuner TV card. The drivers went on OK once I had disabled the broadband connection and disabled the Comodo firewall.
It all ground to a halt when the TV software installation found that

"Setup cannot continue because this version of the .NET Framework is incompatible with a previously installed one"
I was referred to
click here

The reason given was
"Error message when you try to install the .NET Framework 2.0 on a computer that has the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 installed:"

and the work round is to uninstall Net Framework 2.0 SP 1.

But I don't have v. 2.0 SP1 installed.
What I have installed are:
Net Frameworks 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1.

So do I delete the lot except for 1.1 and hope the new version on the TV software CD is compatible, or what ?

GaT7 22:16 11 Jan 2010

I may be wrong, but it isn't possible to install v2.0 SP2 without v2.0 SP1 already installed.

Anyway, I would uninstall everything to do with v2.0 (click here), including its service packs & related updates, then reinstall them all in sequence:

v2.0 click here

v2.0 SP1 click here

v2.0 SP2 click here

Or, once uninstalled, best to let Win Update click here take care of it all, as it'll automatically do it in the right order, along with the other related .Net security updates.

The WinTV application is very sensitive to the .Net Framework being installed perfectly, & will detect the slightest flaw/corruption, throwing up errors & behaving in a strange manner. I know, as I've had my share of run-ins with them both! G

john bunyan 22:53 11 Jan 2010

I had a similar problem when XP SP3 first came out. I agree with Crossbows suggestion and will try to find earlier threads. (This was when I was on XP - now with W7) I seem to remember Happauge tech support sent me a file as well - they were very helpful on the telephone.

xquest 23:00 11 Jan 2010

Many thanks, Crossbow7 In fact I downloaded v1.2, took the TV card out, restored back to before I fitted the TV card, fitted it again, booted up, disconnected broadband and exited the COMODO firewall, and then installed the downloaded drivers. That was OK, but it did strange things when I loaded the TV software, and it asked for the CD to be loaded. I put in the original CD (v.1.1F) and it seemed happy and produced the WinTV v7 icon on the desktop. It loaded channels and displayed them OK until one of my button presses froze the screen completely so I had to re-boot.
I am now playing around - I suspect my old graphics card is going to be too slow.
Many thanks for your advice, and if you have any tips on how to get this card to run smoothly they will be very welcome.
Best wishes, xquest.

john bunyan 15:42 12 Jan 2010

Here is a similar old thread (XP). You need all the .Net Framework updates and latest graphic card drivers. Happuage tech people very helpful on phone.I had a problem also when XP SP3 update was first installed - I suspect because I tried to install it with AVG running; in the end ran it in safe mode.

click here

GaT7 16:05 12 Jan 2010

I think your graphics card should be fine. I've successfully run WinTV on integrated graphics. What's your present card? Is it a nVidia-based card? If yes, conflicts could be the issue - see this recent related thread click here.

There may not be an easy way to get them all in sync with each other, but don't give up. Get .Net sorted out first (if not done already). I have used the Hauppauge forums click here to good effect in the past. G

xquest 16:46 12 Jan 2010

Thanks again folks. The Hauppauge help desk responded in roughly similar terms - delete the .NET stuff and use their latest driver download etc. but I had already muddled my way through OK.
My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (with only 128Mb DDR), I am running XP Prof., memory 2Gb, AMD Athlon 2600, desktop about 7 years old.
I have never updated the Nvidia driver - I perhaps should do that? .... sometime.
Whilst I'm on, is there any way of altering the TV brightness and contrast without resorting to altering the monitor settings ? And is the default minimum picture size truly the minimum picture I can obtain? I had envisaged a 5x3 inch TV in a corner of my wide screen whilst I waited for a programme to start.
Ah well, nothing's perfect.

john bunyan 18:40 12 Jan 2010

In MCE, just click the small screen symbl bwtween the - and x then you can size the display to what you like by dragging the bottom right hand corner of the display, and position it where you wish.
I would create a restore point then download latest NVIDIA drivers for your set up, then install them.If it goes wrong you can restore the system using the restore point.

woodchip 18:58 12 Jan 2010

remove version 3.0 and 3.5 update i had to as it was crippling my laptop speed

GaT7 19:21 12 Jan 2010

"...but I had already muddled my way through OK." - so is your original problem solved?

No problem at all with your graphics card - it's better than integrated graphics.

Latest nVidia drivers for the FX5200 are click here.

No, there's no way of altering the brightness & contrast w/o altering the monitor's settings.

Yes, smallest it will minimise to is around 6.5" x 4.5". No MCE is XP Pro, so you cannot do john's suggestion. G

xquest 20:52 12 Jan 2010

Yes, problem solved.
Many thanks to you all and all the best for 2010,
xquest

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017