NET framework update needed but shows 0kb

Halmer 20:33 23 Apr 2009

Windows keeps offering me an update for net framework version 3.5.

When I run it however it fails each time after telling me the update is 0kb as below??

Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates.

I'v etried to install it manually but that failed too. It's XP.

Any ideas please?

provider 2 23:11 23 Apr 2009

Not sure how far you are down the road with this, but some people have used Aaron Stebner`s .net framework clean-up tool to uninstall and start at the beginning again. click here
It could take quite a while, though, and for some the gain is not worth the effort, but that`s for you to decide.

The problem is that there`s an awful lot to the .net framework and some parts are dependent on others and some are not. Simple, it isn`t.

Stuartli 00:22 24 Apr 2009

You can download the various .NET Framework versions from:

click here

phono 01:00 24 Apr 2009

Download and install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from click here run it and look for .net framework version 3.5, if it exists let the tool clean up the installation, reboot if requested to do so and try reinstalling .net 3.5

Used this several times when updating Windows on various PCs and it has worked without fail so far.

PS read the summary on the download page, it will tell you how it works.

provider 2 10:41 24 Apr 2009
  john bunyan 13:48 24 Apr 2009

And here: click here
I used the things mentioned by provider 2 and phono.

Halmer 18:38 24 Apr 2009

I'll have a look and post back when I've read etc.

Cheers.

Halmer 11:50 25 Apr 2009

doesn't find it.

Interestingly enough Sonic came with the PC which is a variant of Roxio so it looks like I have a similar issue to the one in click here this thread.

john bunyan 21:03 26 Apr 2009

As you point out above I had a lot of trouble, rconciling Roxio Creator 2009 with .NET Framework 3.5 etc. Which Sonic or Roxio product do you have? The problem I had was that, unknown to me Creator 2009 installs .NET framework 3.5 - if you already have it there can be complications. I had to go through a long uninstall procedure involving registry editing. The Roxio forums are full of people with install problems. If you can be more precice, I think I can help a bit more and will look up what I did to solve the issue. Creator 2009 is a good programme, but the install procdures can be very difficult.

Halmer 17:39 27 Apr 2009

There is no evidence of version 3.5 on my PC only the version before.

I have Sonic DigitalMedia Deluxe v7 which came with the PC in 2006.

john bunyan 17:51 27 Apr 2009

I am never sure what programmes need these .Net framework updates. I have XP with Media Centre edition and Roxio Creator 2009, and suspect they need it. If you think you need it and it wont install , you could go through a long winded procedure of uninstalling the Sonic programme (if you have the install disc). Roxio tech have a procedure for a "clean reinstall" involving registry editing. You could install the .NET framework files and updates before re installing Sonic.In any event dont forget to do a system restore before you start. I will try to look up the link if you want it. What is the latest .NET framework file you have?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017