.NET Framework security update - what's going on?

Pineman100 17:40 04 Apr 2009

For the last four days, every time I've shut down my Windows XP SP3 Media Center computer, I've had a Microsoft update attempting to install itself. The usual installation procedure appears to take place, then the computer shuts down. All perfectly normal. Except that the installation obviously fails, because the next day it happens all over again.

The update is a Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1, Service Pack 1 (KB928366).

I had a look at my list of installed MS updates to check whether this one has actually installed, and to my surprise (I'd never noticed this before) I have in my computer:-

.NET Framework v1.1
.NET Framework v2 SP2
.NET Framework v3 SP2
.NET Framework v3.3 SP1

So here are my questions:

1. Why have I got four different versions of .NET Framework? I haven't put them on the computer myself. And assuming they have arrived as MS updates, why hasn't each successive version deleted or overwritten the previous version?

2. What can I do about this update that keeps failing to install?

I'll be very grateful for any advice, please.

iscanut 17:45 04 Apr 2009

Yes, deliverd via auto update. Yes I also have all previous versions showing on my pc but I have installed latest version without any problem. There were a few threads about this problem a little while ago, so if you do a search in these forums for .NET ... you will be able to have a read. I don't know why version 1.1 is trying to install when you have the latest version installed. Why not hide it in future from updating via the MS Update ?

Graphicool1 17:48 04 Apr 2009

Try downloading and installing it by hand click here

Sea Urchin 17:48 04 Apr 2009

Ideally you should keep them all

click here

Stuartli 18:15 04 Apr 2009

It's actually iNET Framework Version 3.5.

iNET Framework can be used by several sources, including PAINT.Net, ATi graphics cards and some computer TV tuners software.

The recent security updates I installed for .NET Framework were released several weeks ago.

Pineman100 18:31 04 Apr 2009

Sea Urchin - thanks for that information. I'll obviously have to leave all the versions in place.

Graphicool1 - thanks for the link. I tried doing as you suggest, but I got the following report:-

"Info 9006. This patch could not be installed because it requires Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1. No Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 can be detected on this computer."

When I checked my software list in Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, I had listed the following:-

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 10.08MB
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)

But no mention of SP1 - which is presumably why the patch wouldn't install.

So I went to Microsoft's download page for SP1 (click here) and downloaded/installed it.

However, the Windows Installer reported:-

"This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

What would you do next?

Pineman100 19:06 04 Apr 2009

Having thought this through, I felt that the most probable explanation was that my .NET 1.1 installation was corrupt. So I went to Microsoft's download site for this and downloaded it again.

Before I installed it, I tried uninstalling the version already on my computer. The process appeared to run without a hitch, but at the end of it, .NET Framework 1.1 was still listed in Add/Remove Programs, just as I posted above.

So I tried reinstalling 1.1 over the top of it. The installation appeared to go smoothly, so I then re-downloaded and ran Service Pack 1.

The result was exactly the same as before. Grrrr! Windows Installer reported:-

"This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

Anyone got any ideas, please?

Sea Urchin 19:21 04 Apr 2009

I would download and run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility - select .NET framework and Remove

click here

john bunyan 19:28 04 Apr 2009

See here. Another .Net Framework 3.5 update question. Also try the link shown in this thread to Aaron Steiner.

john bunyan 19:30 04 Apr 2009

Sorry - here is link. click here

john bunyan 19:31 04 Apr 2009

And the Steiner link : click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone