Net Framework (a different problem)

hatrickj 17:13 19 Mar 2008

My question is quite different from the other posted today.
There is no sign of Net Framework in my Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, but I keep on getting priority updates for Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0. When I attempt download and install, the install fails. I have also, on the possibility that there is a corrupt version lurking tried a download and install of 1.1 but this too fails. Can someone please help me to either rid my computer of Net Framework, either version, or to get the program working properly?

System is XP Home SP2

john bunyan 17:29 19 Mar 2008

I am not sure if these .net framework files are part of the automatic updates. I "lost" my tuner after a clean reinstall of XP SP2 and I have a MCE PC. On the microsoft update website there is an option to install .net framework files and I am sure these are needed - certainly for MCE PC's. The update is quite long and I think starts at 1 and goes up to 3.5 versions of the .net framework files. I think it would be worth trying the full update, over the top of what you have. (Maybe create a system restore point first.Not sure why your installation failed.

woodchip 17:33 19 Mar 2008

Have a look down the list click here

cocteau48 17:38 19 Mar 2008

To remove .NET Framework : try Aaron Stebners .NET Framework removal tool:
click here
It will allow you to restart .NET downloads with a clean slate.

hatrickj 19:20 19 Mar 2008

Used coceau48's recommednation.
A silly question perhaps! :)Next thing is--- do I need NF... and if it is necessary what is the version to install?

cocteau48 19:45 19 Mar 2008

The various versions of .NET Framework are cumulative - that is to say later versions add to but do not replace earlier versions. (with the exception,I think that 1.1 replaces 1)
Personally I have got 1.1,2 and 3 because that is what was advised under the custom updates on the Microsoft update site. 3.5 has not been shown as a custom update,at least for my system,so I have not bothered with it.
As to whether I need them at all....the jury is still out on that one!

john bunyan 20:31 19 Mar 2008

I am not so knowlegable as cocteau48, I suspect. I am sure you need the updates for a Media Center Edition version of XP, as my tuner was lost without them. Not sure for non MCE PC's but I think Windows Media Player version 11 needs these files, maybe other programmes too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires