.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 install problem

Icky 10:56 01 Dec 2007

I'm using a Windows Vista computer I bought in August this year and everything seems to have been working properly until 29-11-2007.
On that day the automatic download updates would not install the update "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1". All other updates installed properly.
I tried to manually install "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1" update but I get the failed message and Error code: 641

I clicked on Get Help and followed the instructions. I opened the Windows SoftwareDistribution folder have deleted the files in DataStore folder and also those in the Download folder but still the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 installation failed.

I even tried to uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 installed when my computer was new on 20/08/2007 to see if that would help but it would not uninstall. I got the message " The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance".

So perhaps I have a problem with Windows Installer.

The anti-virus program I use is NOD 32.
I only use the normal Windows Vista firewall etc.

Thank you for any help.

johnnyrocker 10:59 01 Dec 2007

vista forum could prob help.

johnny

Lord_Monkfish 11:06 01 Dec 2007

Had exactly the same problem for ages (on 2 computers) however today it seems to have worked! I think the problem is with Windows Installer and either today or yesterday they re-published the update and problem solved.

Icky 11:14 01 Dec 2007

Wow that was quick!
Thank you for your replies.

I've now posted in the Vista forum.
I've tried agin to install it today but without luck.
How do I delete the "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1" which is already downloaded but not installed so a new re-published update can be downloaded?

Icky 13:52 01 Dec 2007

It still wont install so I'm trying in this firum again.
If I try to uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 in add remove I get the message " The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance".

So perhaps I have a problem with Windows Installer. How do I fix that problem please?

iscanut 14:00 01 Dec 2007

Myself and others ran several threads re this sort of problem some months ago. Cant remember when, but if you do a search of the Forum pages for .Net Framework, versions 1 , 2 & 3 , you will find more info.

Taff™ 10:37 02 Dec 2007

click here and follow Graham.`s links.

Icky 11:13 02 Dec 2007

Thank's for replying Taff™.
Windows Vista.
Unfortunately I can't uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 --- in add remove I get the message "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance".

How do I mend Windows Installer?

Thanks again for any help.

Stuartli 11:36 02 Dec 2007
  chub_tor 12:01 02 Dec 2007

This link click here may be relevant to you and I have used it whenever I have had problems with .NET Frameworks. The dotnetfx_cleanup_tool removes all evidence of all versions of the .NET Framework and if you then go to Microsoft Updates you have the opportunity to re-install any version that you want. I have successfully used it on XP and Vista.

thetic 20:42 06 Apr 2008

Hi ive been trying for 3 days now to download updates for my win xp. Cracking up big time i get the message 'failed to download framework 2.0 service pack 1 (kb110806)' thats why i joined this forum to see if anyone else has/had the same problem. HELP :¬)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?