net connection

conrail 14:11 05 Nov 2007

I am using XP home with NTL broadband, I have suddenly started to get the following message:
"No connection to the internet is currently available
To view Internet connection that has been saved on your computer, click Work Offline
Click try Again to attempt to connect"
clicking connect works, there are 2 laptops and 1 other pc using a belkin router, 3 wireless, mine wired as it is next to the router, I am the only one getting this problem so my pc is the problem, I have looked at Network connections and Internet options in the control panel but not sure what I am looking for so all advice greatly accepted

birdface 15:24 05 Nov 2007

Try right clicking local area Connection in the quick start and press repair.Or try Control panel.Administrative Tools. Services.Scroll down to DNS Client and make sure it is set to automatic.

conrail 16:18 05 Nov 2007

thanks buteman, tried repair, DNS Client is set for automatic but still happening

birdface 17:04 05 Nov 2007

I don't suppose you have Msn messenger on your computer.If so try.Tools .Options.connections.And press connection troubleshooter.See if that shows up any problems.What Firewall do you use on that computer.I'm afraid when it comes to routers I don't have much of a clue as I have never used one before.

conrail 21:06 05 Nov 2007

thanks buteman, I don't have messenger on my pc and I haven't installed anything new recently apart from updates, I have AVG, Adware, Spybot, windows defender and a2squared on my pc, allbe on for a long time

birdface 11:58 06 Nov 2007

Try with your windows defender turned off see if that makes any difference.Does w/defender still use windows firewall.I am also with Ntl but only have desktop if I have any connection problems I just turn my modem of for a minute turn it back on and leave for 2 minutes before using again,And that usually works.Your Anti-virus and spyware programs are fine the only one that sometimes has problems is w/defender.I used to have it but it used to come up with the odd program do you want to allow this program or deny,And as I was not expecting that sometimes I would deny it,And then thinking about it I would think maybe I should have allowed it,But I could never find out where it was.Eventually after a while I deleted it,it did not seam to find anything. [and your other programs are good enough to find most things.]And getting away from that I can only think that might be a Firewall problem.

conrail 13:41 06 Nov 2007

had tried that buteman, strange but since I switched pc on at 9am this morning I haven't had the problem, hopefully it was a one off,
again buteman, thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?