Nero7 Essentials Help

ACOLYTE 18:13 26 Jan 2008

I have just got anew DVD Burner and got with it the above,i mainly got a DVD writer to back up lots of .avi files i have,they are starting to fill my Hdd so i wont to put them on DVD.

Trouble is im not used to Nero7 and everytime i add files to a dvd it starts encoding it to play on a stand alone dvd,and all i really want to do is add them to dvd as single files and watch them 1 by 1 on the pc when i want to.
I have tried making a data dvd,and this does the same
thing but then i get a pop up saying my Mpeg codecs will expire after 30 days.This is a bit worrying as i dont want them to become unviewable in 30 days time.Im not sure if it meant that but i dont know.
So my question how do i simply back up my films without all the bells and whistles?

Jim_F 20:54 26 Jan 2008

When usng Nero to back up AVI files just create a 'data' DVD and drag and drop the files. Then they will look just like they did on your Hard Drive - and take the same amount of space.

MAT ALAN 20:59 26 Jan 2008

if nero came bundled with the HDD in 30 days you will loose the options you have now unless you but a full product licence..

Can you not uninstall nero and go back to the burning prog you had before...

Jim_F 21:01 26 Jan 2008

You may need to start from scratch - restart NERO and create a 'new' data DVD - then add the files - this is exactly how I backup video files so let me know if it still doesn't work.

Jim_F 21:07 26 Jan 2008

MAT ALAN

Agreed - I was assuming that ACOLYTE had the OEM version of NERO 7 - which doesn't need mpeg codecs to burn an AVI file as data - or upgrading.

ACOLYTE 23:41 26 Jan 2008

Thx,guys i have tried to burn as a data dvd but as i said earlier it comes up with the encoding thing and doesnt just copy the files to the disk,i have however just made a copy from one avi file i had and it did make a good dvd that plays on my home dvd,that not withstanding all i want to do is back them up and make more hdd space.I say "just made" i acctually took like 2 hours lol.One strange thing is that option in nero are in english and japanese i dont know why that is none of my other apps have multi-language.My biggest concern is will the things i save to cd/dvd become unuable in 30 days?

Jim_F 23:18 01 Feb 2008

Hi Acolyte - sorry about the delay in responding -I believe Nero is just warning you that you won't be able to encypt MP2 DVD files once the trial period is expired - provided you record a data DVD it shouldn't be worrying about MP codecs- ubless the originating files need them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone