Nero to a DVD .......Will I live that long?

Diemmess 16:34 29 Jul 2006

Bought a Benq DVD R RW a year ago to be able to play a DVD on this computer.

Plays fine, will record CD or DVD (data) no problem. I just don't use re-writable media at all.

Now I thought, I would try putting 2 short movie tracks onto a DVD. Have spent ages going nowhere!

Nero is version 6.6.1.4 (NeroVision Express 2SE is the part of this huge app. which I think I'm using!)
Windows 2K, 1Gb RAM, Duron 1200

Possible snag.. one track is avi the other is mpg but Nero is currently being asked to "burn it to HD" and says it is "transcoding" this selection.

It is so slow.... been at it for 1 1/2 hrs and the time remaining and progress lines have not seemed to change for half of that time.

Can someone please list the things I must be doing wrong?

If nothing else, while this lot is running the computer is slow and I am trying to let the program have all the resources to itself, except for this forum .. of course!

[email protected] 17:56 29 Jul 2006

unfortunately with your system it will take a long time to transcode.
Patience is all you need

Diemmess 18:07 29 Jul 2006

Thank you Bilko.
Presumably it is a RAM and CPU power thing?
I will remain very calm..... and patient.
There have been changes which are more encouraging, it has only been running for just over 2 hrs, and best guess is it should finish in about another hour!

Your post reassures me that I'm doing it correctly and must just wait for a (good) result?

Stuartli 18:35 29 Jul 2006

I well recall the very first CD-R I burned with Nero some years ago on an Intel Celeron 400MHz system.

I attempted to copy one of my CDs as a test and selected Audio CD from Nero's list.

Nearly five hours later it was finally burned...:-)

piddletrenthide 18:56 29 Jul 2006

You could try using ConvertXtoDVD from
click here

It costs around £24 and can be downloaded as a trial (which decorates your video with a watermark until you pay to register)

I found it transcodes around 3 times as fast as Nero Vision Express and is much simpler to use.

Diemmess 20:51 29 Jul 2006

Talk about a fuss even compared with a CD burn!
Took 5hrs 11 to transcode to HD and about 40 mins to put it on a DVD.

Thank you both for the encouragement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?