Nero Drive Source & Drive Destination problem

Giggle n' Bits 12:59 01 Oct 2006

ok I have Asus DVD-E616A2 & a Asus CRW-5232A4 when I use nero to copy a CD the Source & Destination drive are the same. The only way to change the source is manually which surely it known the source is a DVD drive but mine shows me x2 CD Wtrs.

I did update the software which didn't make any difference only manually selecting the drive source is the only option and its a pain.

Is this a bug with my DVD or Wtr maybe ? My DVD is Secondary Master and CD Wtr is Secondary Slave with HDD being a single SATA on SATA1 channel primary no partitions or Raid.

Giggle n' Bits 00:50 02 Oct 2006

put the update on and its still doing it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:51 02 Oct 2006

Put the writer as mater and rom as slave and retry.

Giggle n' Bits 13:26 18 Oct 2006

Will try this but when copy of a CD, if actual Cd is in the secondary slave drive being the DVD and CD Wtr is Master secondary would you be able to copy a CD from slave to a master ?

Stuartli 14:04 18 Oct 2006

The Master optical drive (rewriter) will be D and the Slave (ROM) optical drive will be E.

Giggle n' Bits 10:14 19 Oct 2006

That makes sense, I did it but still nero thinks there is a CD Wtr as Source and also as Destination drive. Must be a bug.

Justr noticed the drive is not in the list of Nero's so i will take it thats the reason.

Thanks for your call.

Stuartli 11:05 19 Oct 2006

Windows can list/usually lists any optical drive as a CD drive - the function is basically the same whether it's a ROM or rewriter and both use the same basic Windows CDROM driver.

In the case of rewriters it's the software that controls its intended purpose i.e. burning.

Stuartli 11:10 19 Oct 2006

You can have a drive performing the role of both source and destination drive if you use the (superior) hard drive image method.

However, I prefer to use my DVD-ROM drive for tasks such as listening to audio CDs, installing software etc and using the rewriter purely for its intended purpose; rewriters are not as robust or have the same longevity as ROM drives so careful use prolongs their lifespan substantially.

I've just changed my still working perfectly five-year-old TDK CyClone CD-rewriter (rebadged Samsung model) for a Sony DVD rewriter, but only to gain the benefits of DVD blank disks.

Giggle n' Bits 00:09 20 Oct 2006

Didn't know Wtrs have a shorter life span but can sort of see why when you come to mention it.

cheers.

Stuartli 09:02 20 Oct 2006

If you study manufacturers' MTBF figures for various drives, you'll gather that the average life expectancy of a rewriter is less than that of a basic drive.

However, optical drives' prices have dropped so dramatically in recent times that it's probably not worth worrying too much about it...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?