Nero

joe95 12:50 08 Aug 2004

I was backing up work onto a cd-rw which I have used for 6months when up popped"bad sector" made read only when I opened it upmy stuff wasn't there just explorer files,had four more cd-rws so I tried to format them three quarters through error please confirm that the disc is compatable with the drive or isn't scratched etc.PCwith XPHome and Nero6.
Thanks
Joe

jonnytub 13:27 08 Aug 2004

If you've used the disk for six months i doubt there are any compatibility issues, it's more likely there is a scratch which should be easily identifiable, try smoothing a bit of toothpaste into the crack and polishing off with soft cloth (believe me i've recued a few disks this way) and if that doesn't work then it may just be down to the fact that cd-rw are not a stable a medium as cd-r. You could also try cd-x rescue which was on the cover of pcadvisor not so long ago.

Totally-braindead 13:30 08 Aug 2004

Presuming you haven't either upgraded to a new CDRW drive or upgraded or changed the software you are using in the meantime the only suggestion I can offer is to delete nero and reinstall it in case there is some corruption in the program. Does it work with normal cdrs, is the problem just with your cdrws? Personally I don't use cdrws any more cos I had a lot of problems similar to what your describing. I now use cdrs and create a multisession disk with nero and keep adding stuff on the disk till its full. cdrs are so cheap now its easier than all the hassle I had with cdrws.

jack 14:52 08 Aug 2004

I Concur CD-RW's are a waste of time.
They will not generally read anywhere but the drive that created them- Joe - Do you have 2 drives? are you reading in the correct one?

joe95 19:09 08 Aug 2004

jtub,
Itried paste but no joy, also checked back as far as Dec03 but couldn,t trace cd-x.

Toally-braindead
Iused cd-rws for 5yrs with Win98 and Adaptec without a single problem since changing to a new PC with XP and Nero have had constant problems with the writer trashed first one and the new one has been okat till this problem, me thinks should have stayed with 98.
Such is life.I'll try cdrs
Thanks
Joe

Totally-braindead 19:50 08 Aug 2004

CDX rescue was in the Spring 2004 coverdisk. Was entitled Complete CD Toolkit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?