Neither un_or_in stall available. Words fail me

Diemmess 20:47 27 Aug 2007

Omnipage12 refused to preview with the same scanner which still works fine with Photopaint.

Managed to mess things up so that it fatal errored with uninstall, and told me I had terminated install early!- please try again.

Deep breath and having deleted all the obvious, I have tediuosly combed the registry for Omnipage and Scansoft. Not a trace left and everything else still works, but Omnipage still will not install.

Having an Acronis image only 10 days old is a way back, but I shall have to juggle with recent email to keep everything.

OS is XP Pro

I must have overlooked some registry entries but what can I search for having cleared Onmipage and Scansoft, and searched the "proper" way in vain as well?

holme 21:03 27 Aug 2007

Three things you could try:

a) Click Start - Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs ans see if it's still listed. If so, try to uninstall.

b) Try running CCleaner click here and click on the 'Issues' icon and Analyse/Scan for (Registry) Issues. This doesn't seem to do a particularly thorough job but in my experience, at this level fairly superficial level, it very often does the trick.

c) Use System Restore, going back to the point before you first installed Omnipage12. If that does the trick, don't forget to re-check with your anti-virus/ant-spyware progs to bring the signature files (back) up to date.

If System Restore doesn't do it, you might need to use a more thorough registry cleaner such as Registry Easy. But that costs money so maybe someone else can recommend a freebie alternative. But HTH.

cocteau48 21:12 27 Aug 2007

Are you using Firefox/Thunderbird?
If you do have to resort to your Acronis image you can use Mozbackup
click here
to save your Emails and Firefox/T'bird settings etc.
before you restore the earlier image.

VoG II 21:16 27 Aug 2007

This may be worth a try click here

lotvic 21:28 27 Aug 2007

check this out click here
it has a link to registry hits

quote/""Here is Nuances Knowledge Base Support Database
click here
Version Doc.Ref.#
15 5724
14 4774
12 2651
11 1330

Basically all other versions of OmniPage MUST be uninstalled before
installing Version 16. This includes registry hits that are listed in
the reference documents above.""/end quote

hope it is of some help

lotvic 21:38 27 Aug 2007

found the direct link for you
Manual uninstall instructions for OmniPage Pro 12 click here

Diemmess 22:20 27 Aug 2007

Recapping
Had already tried Windows install/uninstall
followed by CCleaner and a thorough registry comb-out for everything Omnipage and Scansoft.

CCleaner again and "Issues."

Tried Windows Installer Cleaner, (VoG™) but neither Omnipage nor Scansoft were listed there.

Finally tried lotvic's suggestion of using Omnipage's own removal tool (for version 12) available on its CD. went thru' the motions but again no success.

Will take this no further tonight.
It is as though some line of code without an Omnipage or Scansoft lable, is preventing a new installation saying every time that I had interrupted installation, and would have to try later. the only button was "Finish."

Diemmess 10:59 28 Aug 2007

Am going to tick this as resolved.
I lie, the only way out was to restore a recent Acronis backup.

Ticked as resolved because of the wealth of useful response most of which should have worked - but didn't!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017