Neighbours broadband router

lilythepink 20:21 17 Feb 2007

I have been trying to set my laptop to use as wireless, I have a Dell router. I keep accessing a BTVOYAGER system. Am I using a neigbours, or is this normal????

TomG 20:22 17 Feb 2007

Sounds likes your accessing someone near bye.

lilythepink 20:28 17 Feb 2007

How can I avoid this? And why is it not picking up my own router which is just in the next room. None of my close neighbours have broadband, only maybe a neighbour across the road, would this be possible?

TomG 20:29 17 Feb 2007

Wireless can reach 30 - 40 yards so yes it is possible.

What operating system are you using?

lilythepink 20:30 17 Feb 2007

Windows XP

TomG 20:37 17 Feb 2007

I'm presuming you are using wireless connection? In the task bar by the clock (bottom right of your screen), should be a picture of a monitor (there may be 2 - one which, when you hover the cursor over might say cable disconnected and the other will be your wireless connection), right click on the wireless connection icon and select view available networks and see if your dell router is shown. Highlite it and click on connect, then folow the manuals instructions.

lilythepink 20:40 17 Feb 2007

It is showing the BT VOYAGER connection. Will my neighbour not notice that I am using their braodband. Because if I can use theirs, then that means that they could be using my wireless network.

TomG 20:46 17 Feb 2007

It's possible that your neighbours will notice because your pc will show up in my network places on their pc (and actually its illeagel to link to someone else's network without their permission).

If your router is not showing up then it has a problem, - check all the wires are connected correctly, are all the required status lights on? I've never used a dell router so you will have to read the manual (should be on the cd that came with it) or have a look at their support website.

lilythepink 21:11 17 Feb 2007

I have connected to someone else's router, instead of my own, how can I find out whose it is? It automatically connects to their connection!!!

STREETWORK 21:19 17 Feb 2007

In the little task bar icon for the connection, right click it to view available networks. Disconnect from your neighbours and connect to the one you need (your own)

You may need to run the new connection wizard again from control panel- network connections...

lilythepink 21:22 17 Feb 2007

It is showing that my router is working and is excellent signal, but will not let me on the internet etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?