Needing some somple advice!

Welsh Jon 21:31 29 Jun 2008

I'm quite competent at using the basic computer stuff though having moved and now living in a much smaller room I'm thinking that my desktop pc must soon be replaced with a laptop. Though I'm quite confused about what I should do?

The computer I have now reads in the bit what says the spec:

Intel (R)
Pentium (R) D CPU 3.4 GHz
3.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM

And then 111 GB Of memory capacity.

I only really have the understanding of a kid about what this stuff means, but I'm just after something that will run the internet, Microsoft Office and will cope well with a 3D design software (like Inventor or Solidworks)

Do the newer processors work more efficiently that 1.8 GHz will run the same? Is Duo core much better concidering that as far as I know 1 program will only run on 1 core (unless designed otherwise ... but I cant see me buying this)?

Could sombody point me in the direction of a company or laptop perhaps that would be suitable? (I dont have much over £500 to spend either!

Many thanks,

Jon

Welsh Jon 21:31 29 Jun 2008

Sorry also about the spelling! Just noticed.

grey george 22:18 29 Jun 2008

You need to find the requirements of the software you mentioned and then check them against the system you are interested in. If a desktop replacement and you use the number pad a lot look for a machine with a separate number pad these are normally 17” screens or bigger. Also most new laptops will be running Vista is the software you are using compatible?
I brought a samsung r700 from here and I am very pleased with it. click here

woodchip 22:58 29 Jun 2008

If you can squeeze the Desktop in I would stick with what you have as a Laptop is mostly un-upgradable plus if it goes wrong it can cost nearly as much as a new Laptop to repair it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?