Need XP Professional

User-CB94CED6-F3AA-42E7-8A286564F5DCBC14 12:55 01 Feb 2010

We have several computers with XP Home. We want to upgrade to XP Pro. but this older OS seems still to be very expensive.

Any ideas where we can get cheap upgrades or new install versions?

Sea Urchin 13:13 01 Feb 2010

The differences between XP Home and Pro are not very marked - particularly if these are home computers. If they are business machines then maybe there might be some slight benefit.

click here

northumbria61 13:37 01 Feb 2010

Is this of any help to you ?
click here

They are used for business but we have a cheaper upgrade path to Vista business and XP Pro must be installed first. They are currently XP Home, that's why I need Pro. (legitimate license of course).

T I M B O 15:23 01 Feb 2010

That's a new one on me, going from home to pro so you can upgrade to Vista, or did I misunderstand you?

And i personally would skip Vista and go to Win 7 is that's possible. To check if your computers will upgrade go here>> click here

Sea Urchin 15:32 01 Feb 2010

You should be able to go from XP Home to Vista Business - although I would agree that Windows 7 would be preferable.

click here

T I M B O 15:35 01 Feb 2010

I'm not sure if this is still working, but you can try>> click here

!st off i did use dban on the hard drive b4 installing this trial version & i may say it works very well.

The upgrade path I have described is correct. We are using Vista business generally and the license we can get will only allow an upgrade from XP Pro to Vista business or windows 7 pro. I am looking to buy XP Pro so I can upgrade Home to Pro and therefore give me a route to vista business. What I am looking for is a good price for XP pro and I am suprised it still seems to be around £100. Are there any UK sources for XP pro which are cheaper?

james105051 16:49 01 Feb 2010

click here downloadable ISO, up to you.

Sea Urchin 17:28 01 Feb 2010

That site has a bad rating on WOT -

james105051 18:35 01 Feb 2010

That's why I said "Up to you". The site has many spelling mistakes and I wouldn't buy from it, but the poster was asking for cheap XP pro so I pointed him\her towards it to make up their own mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?