Need Wireless Help Please

Lowjack 08:00 02 Apr 2007

I have a home office with a Mac, and a PC. Previously the office was downstairs, and has now moved upstairs. I had our ISP send a tech out to setup the connection upstairs, and I've noticed my wired speeds are horrible, and I get disconnects all the time. I tore open some walls and panels to see what the issue is. This is what i have found.

1 ADSL modem (basement) connected to a switch, which then connects to CO-AXILE and runs 75ft of cable to a second switch on my main floor. That switch then runs CO-AIXLE up the wall to a 3rd switch, and rj-45's into my two computers.

What I need help with is understanding wireless setup. I want to get rid of all this cableing garbage. What I want is a wireless router downstairs, and a wireless router upstairs (with rj-45s to plug my computers into). Can I expect to plug my modem downstairs into a wireless router, then use another wireless router upstairs to get a stable connection? I have no wireless adapters in either computers, and access to several wireless routers. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not really strong with networking, more of a hardware guy. But I know there's a better solution than what I've been given by my ISP.

Strawballs 00:21 03 Apr 2007
  Ashrich 09:25 03 Apr 2007

A decent Mimo or draft N wireless router/modem is what you need , although it would be better placed on either the main ( middle ) floor or the top where the rest of your kit is . If there is no chance of placing the modem/router in a better place it might be better to buy a wireless access point as well , get both items by the same manufacturer and make sure they support WDS ( Wireless distribution ) or similar , then the first can be set up in the basement and the second can be placed to boost and distribute the signal to areas where the first cannot reach .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?