need a virus software for vista

jade25 15:07 22 Nov 2008

Have been using avast for a few months but after it taking 22 hours from yesterday to this unchtime l need to get something else. It used to take two hours and there is no more files than it used to have, my broardband from madasafish has been slow this last week but that often happens. What do you advise, also l use vista and browser is firefox.

hiwatt 15:11 22 Nov 2008

Avira is really good I think click here or avg click here

Belatucadrus 15:15 22 Nov 2008

If it's taking 22 hours, somethings gone pear shaped and it may be worth taking it off and reinstalling. If you still want an alternative, here are a few to be getting on with.
AVG click here
Rising click here
Comodo click here
Antivir click here

jade25 15:26 22 Nov 2008

Thank you, l use comodo firewall so it might be worth checking out. I did use avg once before.
will look at them all,
thanks

mazuk 15:29 22 Nov 2008

The best one will no doubt be AVG 8 free version, nice interface and does the job for nothing!!!

tullie 15:29 22 Nov 2008

I have used Avast for a long time and find it to be fine.I dont think that its Avast thats the problem.

cocteau48 15:37 22 Nov 2008

If you are lucky enough to have access to a branch of The Works (discount bookstore)they are currently selling Kaspersky AV2008 for £7.99 (normally about £28.00). There is a free upgrade to the 2009 version and can be installed on up to three machines. I have just installed it to replace my Norton 90 day trial and am successfully using it in conjunction with a Comodo firewall.

provider 2 16:39 22 Nov 2008

Even if you are scanning your whole disc with Avast, 22 hours is far too long.

Something must be blocking it ... possibly another scanner running, a scheduled defrag maybe, or more likely a conflict with bits left over from the uninstall of the AV you had before.

Another AV is quite likely to encounter the same problem. It might be an idea to run the uninstaller for your previous AV again, then use RevoUninstaller to clean up.

when it's scanning have a look in task manager and post everything that is using any cpu.

provider 2 17:20 22 Nov 2008

AVG uninstaller: click here

Sea Urchin 17:45 22 Nov 2008

here is a list of the branches of The Works Bookshop

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone