Need to upgrade processor

barnacarry 18:45 25 Aug 2004

I have a 3 year old Time computer which has, apparently, an old fashioned 800 mhz AMD processor, about the size of 2 cigarette packets which cannot be removed to upgrade. Why can't I just snip the wires and solder on another one? ps. You can see I'm a novice.

Totally-braindead 19:00 25 Aug 2004

Even if you were an expert with a soldering iron you wouldn't be able to do it and I assume you're not. The processors have been changing the architecture and design about once a year and they wouldn't be designed for this board so even if you got it out, which I doubt is possible, a new one wouldn't fit and even if it did it wouldn't work. I'm afraid you need a new board, memory and processor and depending on the power supply you'd need a new one as well. If the computer isn't fast enough and you really want a faster one you'd better off buying a new one I'm afraid.

barnacarry 19:07 25 Aug 2004

Thanks Totally-braindead, That was a bit tongue in cheek from me but I thought there might just be a way around it. Never mind, I'll have to get a new tower unit. ps. I seem to have made 2 postings here, so, apologies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?