NEED A SWITCH THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO USE 2 PCS ON 1

SANAP 13:42 14 Dec 2005

I want to keep my old pc on win98se working for a bit longer but want to have new xp pro in use as well. What I need is a switching gizmo that is a) not too dear, b) easy to use for a non techie.

I saw a gadget on amazon but not sure if that is what I need.

sanap

SANAP 13:44 14 Dec 2005

I should have added with one monitor!!

sanap

rmcqua 13:44 14 Dec 2005

Are we talking about switching 2 PCs between a single monitor?

SANAP 13:50 14 Dec 2005

as they say SNAP

sanap

SANAP 13:59 14 Dec 2005

will this do the job?

click here

and what would I need to have both hooked up to BB, so for example I surf on the win98se at the moment with an usb modem and then if the new pc needs to on on BB do I just get another usb modem or it is easier than that. I dont want the trouble of putting any more cards in the win98se pc as it is on its last legs and one of the pci slots is fried. I heard about routers but for the moment a bit lost.

sanap

Hamish 14:16 14 Dec 2005

Bought one some time ago at click here

Shortstop 14:21 14 Dec 2005

I run 3 PCs from one modem [2 desktops running XP Home & a works lappie running W2K] and do this by plugging the modem into a router and the PCs into that [hardwired, not wireless - Belkin router is too old]. Never had an issue and was as easy as anything to set up by folowing the instructions supplied. The one drawback was that I got home & realised that Belkin did not supply the cables to run from PC to router, but these were soon obtained through PCW & it was clearly avised that I needed crossover.

HTH

Paul

canard 22:05 14 Dec 2005

click here bought one of these-it works. To change PCs on screen press scroll locktwice and up or down arrow .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?