Need somebody's advice before I buy this....

smurf234 14:56 29 Jun 2009

Right, I know nothing about computers whatsoever. I had a Pc that was getting me by until recently, when it broke dowm. I got a really cheap old, really old, thing to basically give me access to the internet, but even that seems to strain the life out of it. I can't even watch a video interview or youtube on it, it just isn't up to the task.

All I want is to surf the net quickly, and be able to watch stuff through my PC, which I have hooked up to my big screen TV. I have, on advice from someone who works with my girlfriend, been looking for a budget PC on fleabay and want to know if this suits my needs.

I just want to know, should I get it?

Price:£59.99

HP Compaq d530 SFF desktop computer
Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz speed processor
1GB RAM memory
40GB storage hard drive
CD-ROM drive
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Software
Genuine Windows XP Professional pre-installed
(includes Microsoft COA license)
Office application/software suite
Anti-virus
Anti-spyware
Firewall
Broadband internet ready
All software are pre-installed and ready to use

Here's the link (if I'm allowed to post it)

click here|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1690|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Stuartli 15:31 29 Jun 2009

You have posted it....

The price is reasonable enough; however the seller appears to have only been offering items on e-Bay for about three weeks, yet feedback suggests hundreds of sales in that time...:-))

Pinch of salt time?

T I M B O 15:32 29 Jun 2009

I personally would not touch ebay with electrical equipment. The age of this machine looks like 2002/3. I think it's a rick personally. Like saomebody once said to me, dont buy from ebay unless ur prepared to lose the money.

Technotiger 15:34 29 Jun 2009

I would say that yes, it should meet your needs, it appears to have decent enough Specs for the price.

Good luck.

Technotiger 15:37 29 Jun 2009

Ya wait ages for a bus, then three come along at the same time ... LoL

smurf234 15:53 29 Jun 2009

Fair point about the feedback. But it is feedback from genuine sellers and is all positive. I think ebay gets an unfair rep sometimes, and a lot depends on how you use it. For sure there are lots of rip off merchants on it, but I have a 45" Tv here, which has served me well for over 4 years now and just got my son the wii fit for £20 less than in the cheapest shop.

Basically, I reckon I am more confident using ebay than I am finding a good PC. But if this is, based on specs alone, up to the task, is it ok for the money?

Thanks for the help.

smurf234 16:13 29 Jun 2009

Nice one technotiger. It's about the best I'm gonna get for the price is it?

Technotiger 16:24 29 Jun 2009

Yep, I reckon so. OK, so it is not a modern Desktop tower, but you would not get one of those for the price anyway.

I would say it will almost certainly meet your needs.

smurf234 16:42 29 Jun 2009

Cool, thanks very much.

woodchip 16:43 29 Jun 2009

Internet and your connection, what speed broad Band can you download at. As no amount of good computers is going to speed up your connection. or by very little

smurf234 16:48 29 Jun 2009

Sorry, but one more question:

Is it worth paying the extra £20 for a PC with the same specs but also with Hyperthreading ability?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?